Re: Localize Date Format from Tokens

Anonymous
Not applicable

Localize Date Format from Tokens

I run global campaigns with various date tokens, the most common one is the Account Renewal Date. I've recently found out that the format which is pulled from SFDC (MM/DD/YYY) is practically insulting to French and German markets. Is there a way in Marketo to localize date tokens based on country or language?

English would receive:

The offer is valid until 31/12/2015.

Germany would receive (in German):

The offer is valid until 31. Dezember 2015.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

Hah! Good question.

You could do something like this with an unreleased functionality called Munchtions. One might suggest that you can call up Marketo Support and get it enabled for your instance, but you didn't hear that from me!

-----

FORMAT

Formats a date/datetime value based on the format string. If the input value was null/empty/a non-date object, the input is returned as is.

Syntax:

##FORMAT(date or date time token, "format string")##

Examples:

##FORMAT({{system.date}},"m/d/Y")##

returns '01/01/2010' if today was 1st Jan 2010

##FORMAT({{lead.Created At}},"m/d/Y h:i a")##

returns '12/31/2012 11:30 am' assuming that was the created at time

##FORMAT({{lead.Created At}},"F")##

returns 'December' , assuming lead was created on 12/31/2012

Full table of available formats: http://php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

-----

So what you could do is have a Marketo-only field which is set through a Master Router program (check out my session recording video starting at 24:57) assigning the value of "Account Renewal Date (Localized)" based on whatever geographic/region proxies you have in the system.

The part that I'm skeptical about is the language-localized rendering of the month—I doubt you can do it. You'd have to do some crazy processing to get it to work (e.g., making three fields in Marketo where month is a separate field, then running smart campaign logic to translate the 12 months from English into each appropriate language), and I don't think that'd be worthwhile.

Cheers,
Edward Unthank | Founder, Etumos

Anonymous
Not applicable

And I was hoping there was a magic button to enable this.

The Master Router program seems doable, although we may try making the update through formulas in SFDC and see how the formatting pulls in.

John_Clark1
Level 10

I need to make it clear here, that Munctions was never meant for general release.  It was created to accomplish a single task, and because it could cause huge problems if it was misused, it's not something that we enable in other instances.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John Clark ,

Support has activated munctions in our instance. We just need to do simple things (adding 2 fields). But our support engineer does not tell us how this is supposed to materialize in the UI and have not provided any info at all on how to use it.

Do you know were we could find some help?

Thx in advance.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Gregoire!

As you are an extremely capable and experienced user, this feature was enabled for you. I think the assumption here was that you had used it in the past, as I believe you were also warned that there is no documentation or guides on how to use this. Traditionally Munctions are only enabled at the request of a Marketo consultant as if you are using this feature you would normally be  working with someone in our Professional Services department to avoid any problems as described correctly by John Clark​.

If you don't have such previous experience and wish to use the feature please feel free to reach out to services@marketo.com and one of our technical consultants would be happy to work with you!

Best regards,

Louiza

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Louiza,

I have figured out the 2 sums I needed to get and it's working.

But thanks

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to hear it Grégoire!

Enjoy

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Emily Dick​,

I would recommend moving this post to Products and Support, so that others can easily find it as well. You can move the post yourself by selecting the Move link under the Actions widget on the right hand side of the page we're on. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! Stacy

Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 2.49.02 PM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. I'm sure I'll understand the difference as I begin using this more.