SOLVED

Re: List of domain names in my databse

Go to solution
mamathanadig
Level 1

List of domain names in my databse

I need to build a smart list that is triggered every time a user from a new domain name is added to my database. How do I go about building a list of all the domain names that already exist in my database? I would need to check the new email address being added against this list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can’t do this without the assistance of a webhook. There’s no built-in feature to centralize your domain list, let alone check new people to see if their domain is in the list.

With a webhook in the mix, it’s relatively simple, since the webhook-compatible service can maintain a list of unique domains, and when you call it, it’ll return true/false for whether the domain is net new. You can trigger that response in the Webhook is Called trigger.

To be thorough, you might also “offboard” people by running them through a second related webhook before deleting them. That way if someone is the last person in the db with a current domain, you can delete that domain from the list, so seeing a future person from that domain is considered interesting.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman

You can’t do this without the assistance of a webhook. There’s no built-in feature to centralize your domain list, let alone check new people to see if their domain is in the list.

With a webhook in the mix, it’s relatively simple, since the webhook-compatible service can maintain a list of unique domains, and when you call it, it’ll return true/false for whether the domain is net new. You can trigger that response in the Webhook is Called trigger.

To be thorough, you might also “offboard” people by running them through a second related webhook before deleting them. That way if someone is the last person in the db with a current domain, you can delete that domain from the list, so seeing a future person from that domain is considered interesting.

mamathanadig
Level 1

We do not want to use a webhook. If we add a "domain name" field at the record level, can we create a custom trigger to identify a new domain similar to the "Person is Created" trigger?

SanfordWhiteman

If we add a "domain name" field at the record level, can we create a custom trigger to identify a new domain similar to the "Person is Created" trigger?

No. The method I’ve outlined above is the only way to do this. Marketo does not detect net new field values across the database.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@mamathanadig ,

why the aversion to using a webhook?

Cheers

Jo

mamathanadig
Level 1

We want to avoid using an external service. If we decided to use webhook, we would have to push any new domain names to this external service to keep the list updated, correct?

SanfordWhiteman

we would have to push any new domain names to this external service to keep the list updated, correct?

You pass people (not domain names, just people) through the webhook when they’re created or when their email address changes.

mamathanadig
Level 1

I don't think I understand. Why would I need to pass the entire lead record?

Every time a lead comes in, I need to strip the domain name (say qwerty.com), send it to an external service (let's say Zapier) and look up this lead's domain name (qwerty.com) against an existing list of domain names. If this qwerty.com does not exist on the list, then I receive a "False" response which would trigger some actions (is Marketo capable of listening for a response and reading the response?). And then qwerty.com needs to be added to the list of domain names so the next lead from qwerty.com is not recognized as a "new" domain name. 

How do I automate updating the list of domain names on Zapier?

SanfordWhiteman

I don't think I understand. Why would I need to pass the entire lead record?

Not the entire lead record, obviously.

Webhooks execute in the context of a single record. You only need to send the Email Address field (the token {{lead.Email Address}}) in this case. But you can’t send “the domain” because you don’t have the domain in its own field at that point.

Every time a lead comes in, I need to strip the domain name (say qwerty.com), send it to an external service

This is impossible. You can’t “strip the domain name” because you lack such a function to do this before calling the webhook. The remote service both (1) parses out the domain and (2) determines whether it’s seen the domain before.

is Marketo capable of listening for a response and reading the response?

Of course. That’s core functionality. Both Response Mappings and the Webhook is Called trigger can respond to the HTTP response from a webhook call.

I won’t mention anything specific to Zapier because I would never use it for this task.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@mamathanadig ,

the right tool for the job is FlowBoost.

Cheers

Jo