Re: List import best practices

Anonymous
Not applicable

List import best practices

Looking at the SOAP API doc, it appears to me that for some (clearly not all) use cases, the API offers two similar aproaches to importing a set of leads and getting them into a list:
  • importToList. This certainly seems straightforward, but the doc carries the warning that this can take a long time -- which is emphasized by the existence of the getImportToListStatus call that one is to use to ensure that the import has completed before one goes on to use that list in other API calls.
  • syncMultipleLeads followed by listOperation. This doesn't jump out at you from the API doc, but it seems like it might offer a feasible alternative. And it doesn't carry that warning about this being a time-consuming process.
I understand that these two approaches offer different functionality, from exactly how you specify the list of interest to exactly what you can do to that list. But there is overlap, and it left me wondering: if your use case falls into that overlap, is one approach better than another -- from a rate limits perspective, from an elapsed-time perspective, in terms of the load placed on the Marketo backend or from any other perspective?
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: List import best practices

It really depends on what you need to do. If you need the list membership, importToList is going to be more efficient than the two calls.

If you just need the leads to be in Marketo, and you don't care if they are in a list at all, syncMultipleLeads is probably your best bet.