Lead Status vs. Program Status

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead Status vs. Program Status

Is there a way to have a global list of statuses for leads that is different from program specific statuses? For example, a program would have a series of program statuses that are specific to that program, but then there is a global lead status that could also be updated over time as leads move through different programs. Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly.

A simple example:

Program 1 Statuses

- Filled out Form

- Downloaded File 1

- Downloaded File 2

- Contact Interest

Program 2 Statuses

- Demo Interest

- Demo Scheduled

Global Lead Statuses

- Anonymous

- Known Prospect

- Influenced

- Contacted

- Demo Given

- Is Customer

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Lead Status vs. Program Status

Hi Tim,

Indeed, program member statuses should be different from lead statuses. Programs are simply campaigns and the programs statuse purpose is to manage the workflow of the campaign.

IMHO, using MQL or other lead management statuses as program statuses reveals a mis understanding of what programs statuses are for.

Somewhat confusing your health state with the seasons or the outside temperature.

Note: Program statuses are set by the program channel. You can edit them in the admin -> Tags section.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg - thanks very much for the reply. I've now found that there are Lead Statuses in the system and mine are currently set at:

Engaged

Lead

MQL

Customer

Prospect

Sales Ready

How and where can I change these? I've searched the system thoroughly as well as documentation and can't figure it out.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Tim,

It's probably inherited from your CRM.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

We don't have a CRM connected yet - seems like there HAS to be a way to change/edit these. But I can't figure it out

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Then the field is just a text field and you can set it to any value you want with a "change data value" flow step.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must not be explaining this correctly - I don't need to know how to change between two existing Lead Statuses via a flow step, I need to know how to change the actual Lead Statuses definitions. I want different Lead Statuses - I need to actually edit the Lead Statuses, add more of them, etc. Does that make sense?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Tim,

You were very clear, but maybe I was not clear :

Picklist fields do not exist in Marketo, except when the picklist in inherited from SFDC.

The values you see in the drop list are just the values that currently exist in the DB. So if you change the field value for a few leads, the new value will automatically appear in the drop list.

Hence my recommendation to just start changing some lead status values with a smart campaign.

-Greg