SOLVED

Re: Lead Status Mapping/Conversion Question

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead Status Mapping/Conversion Question

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with the Lead Status field in marketo being paired with the standard lead status field in Salesforce? We tried pairing our mappings with the standard lead status field in salesforce and with a status of an account field (custom) and I've observed some behavior where the account field is never getting synced down.

I'm curious if anyone has run into this issue and found out why the standard lead field was blocking updates for the account field. I get that the end result is that I'll need to decouple the field with help from support, but I would like to understand what happened.

Thanks,
Kelly

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kelly,

This setup is really not done the right way. Whoever did it was not aware of the consequences...

The lead status field in SFDC is standard, and so is the lead status in Marketo and so is their mapping. It cannot be changed. and as you noted, the lead conversion completely block things and, as Marketo cannot update the account, you are stuck.... Furthermore, the lead status field in Marketo has some specific usages, such as in the Revenue models.

Also, the account status field is not standard, it's a custom one.

You should probably consider unmap all these fields and remap them properly, because it is going to cause problems forever.

-Greg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kelly,

Sync'ing the std status lead field in SFDC with Marketo is just the std behavior.

But the account one is not, as Marketo cannot update Account fields, no matter which field. You should rather set your second field on the contact object.

-Greg

Josh_Hill9
Level 2

Go into Lead Fields and Contact Fields:

• Lead.Lead Status >> Map to Contact Status
  • Contact.Contact Status >> at what Status do you want to Convert the Lead as?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg - thanks for confirming the standard sync for lead status. And got it on to no to account updates. I'm not sure why it was set up this way, but if I had to guess, they wanted a blend of the marketing statuses and our account statuses in one field based on their SFDC type. Unfortunately, that does not look like what has happened in our system.

Josh - Not sure if you mean in marketo or SFDC, but I know I'm unable to remap anything in Marketo without support's help. I had another field I had to correct the mappings (and there will be more ) However, what's odd is the Lead.Status field in Salesforce cannot be mapped to any other field. It's not an option.

In our system, once the lead is converted, the status should match what's on the account for this particular field. We have a separate field that tracks marketing statuses at the contact level and a separate field on the lead level (such as inactive, known, MQL, SAL, Qualified), so the intent of the account field is to indicate where in the sales funnel they are (suspect, pipeline, backlog, client, cancelled, etc).

The problem I'm encountering with the current set up, is that once the lead is converted, the sync should in theory pull down the value from the account. What's happening, is the value that's kept is the one that's flagged as the 'converted' picklist value in salesforce.
2016-05-06_16-07-22.jpg
My best guess is, since it's a standard field in salesforce it's still persisting as if updates can be made to it after it's been converted and it's blocking the updates to marketo to pull from the account field it's paired with. I don't know for sure if this is what's going on - but that's what is appearing to have happened.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kelly,

This setup is really not done the right way. Whoever did it was not aware of the consequences...

The lead status field in SFDC is standard, and so is the lead status in Marketo and so is their mapping. It cannot be changed. and as you noted, the lead conversion completely block things and, as Marketo cannot update the account, you are stuck.... Furthermore, the lead status field in Marketo has some specific usages, such as in the Revenue models.

Also, the account status field is not standard, it's a custom one.

You should probably consider unmap all these fields and remap them properly, because it is going to cause problems forever.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg. Tier 2 is working on taking our account status off of that field and putting in a much more appropriate place.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about the Lead Status field in Salesforce blocking updates to any other paired field in Marketo.