Lead source

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead source

Hi all, 

I'm a new user of Marketo and would like to know... 

If someone fills in a form - how / where can I find the information to see what the lead source was, and where it originated from? 

If I am using the same form on a blog and say, LinkedIn, will Marketo be able to tell me the original source - or do I need to set something up? 

Many thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lead source

There is no need to set up anything specific. That information is available on lead's Activity Log.

A simple example from my test lead:

Query Parameters:
mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonvq7BZKXonjHpfsX%2B7%2BstXLHr08Yy0EZ5VunJEUWy3IsDWoEnZ9mMBAQZC81syxhXHuWYc9EX
Referrer URL:
http://marketo.themeat.org/bgomes_basic_lp_1.html?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonvq7BZKXonjHpfsX%2B7%2BstXLHr08Yy0EZ5VunJEUWy3IsDWoEnZ9mMBAQZC81syxhXHuWYc9EX

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lucy - There's multiple ways to getting the answer you're looking for.

You could have Lead Source as a hidden field on a form, and pass a value into that hidden field through the URL, such that when someone fills out that form through LinkedIn or Blog, the Lead Source could get tracked accordingly. Say you're directing people to the landing page with URL www.xyz.com, you could use the URL as:

www.xyz.com?source=LinkedIn OR
www.xyz.com?source=Blog

So depending on which URL someone came from, the Source field would get populated with the correct value.

Marketo also automatically tracks which site someone comes to your website from. You can find this information in the 'Original Referrer' field (I love this feature of Marketo!!). It will be interesting for you to see a report with this field on it, to see which sources are driving traffic to your website.

Hope this helps. Thanks!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Breno says, the simplest way of doing this without the need to set anything up, is to view the Lead's Activity Log. To get to this:
  1. View your lead panel (by double clicking on them in lead database for e.g.)
  2. Select the Activity Log tab
  3. Find a row with the "Fill Out Form" activity type & double click
  4. You should see Referrer URL
You can also do this for "Visit Web Page" activity types. Once you get more advanced you can create listviews showing all the data you want in one place!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kashmira's suggestion of using query strings to track is also an excellent suggestion which allows for more flexibility in tracking your leads' most recent movements.

Note that if you want maintain the passing of URL query strings on a form embedded on a non-Marketo site (such as a blog) you may need to make some code changes to that particular website (e.g. as described here)