SOLVED

Lead Source vs Campaign Source

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead Source vs Campaign Source

Hi there,

I'm sure this is a problem other people may be experiecing, and from looking through the community I have seen a few items that touch on this but can't see a perfect resolution yet.

Ultimately we would like to know and report on, for each program, how that lead became a member. For example, we promote our webinars via email, social, paid ads and occasionally through 3rd party/partners. We have one landing page but want to use URL parameters to note down where this lead came from for that specific webinar. 

My question is this. How do you record that information?

The lead source only updates for new leads and will tell you where that lead came from, but what if you already know this lead. How can I tell for webinar x, that this person arrived through Twitter for example. We can use URL parameters to update a field, but whats to stop that person then registering for another webinar thorugh LinkedIn and having this feild overwritten? 

We would like to map to the Campaign Member Object in Salesforce.

Is there something that sits at program level that can help us with this?

Thanks,
David
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Lead Source vs Campaign Source

David,
Please look at this article and the links on it
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketing-attribution-setup-checklist-1846/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kim_Allen
Level 10

Hi David,

Companies probably all do this differently. For us, we use utm_source. This is not mapped to a Marketo field. So it's more of a pain the report on but I've created different smart lists for those reports. Ex: utm_source Twitter smart list would be filled out form - query string contains utm_source=twitter. Then I pull in all of these smart lists into my webinar or other program lead report as custom columns.

Make sense?

I'm sure there's lots of other ways to go about this but for our business right now, it's how we are doing it.
Kim
Sergio_Fernande
Level 1

Hi David,

In a previous job, I used Eloqua and we had a similiar need to know how known leads found their way to our landing pages that were not sourced from emails. We used utm parameters within the URL string to capture all sorts of custom tracking data...just like Kim. We used javascript on the form element to capture the URL UTM values and populate hidden fields that were then mapped to custom fields in the database that we could then use for reporting and segmentations.

I would image that the mechanism to do this in Marketo would be similiar. Here is a link to some sample javascript : http://topliners.eloqua.com/community/do_it/blog/2013/07/17/getting-google-analytics-sourcing-data-i...

Sergio
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

David,
Please look at this article and the links on it
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketing-attribution-setup-checklist-1846/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey David,

There are a bunch of good recommedations here, but I'll tag on with mine. We actually addressed this exact problem early last year, and we've really liked the way our new process works. Here's a rundown: https://community.spiceworks.com/blogs/marketing/1828-are-you-measuring-the-right-things
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, really good insight and I've got plenty to read and review!

I'm not sure having an individual program for every source will work for us. I can see how it will work, but the amount of activity we run and the amount of channels we promote through, makes it just not scalable really. The same applies for having program statuses relevant for each campaign member. This also wont work as when a lead progresses to a new status within the same program this information will be lost.

Josh your guide is great and I love step 12 especially which talks about mapping and reporting on the campaign member object. I'm going to review all of the insight you guys have put forward, and start setting up a plan and will be sure to update this discussion with anything I find to help others on this subject.

Thanks again for your comments and please feel free to continue commenting with your ideas and experieces!

David