SOLVED

Re: Lead Merge Issue - Field "Created" Erased

Go to solution
Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

It does not work, even if I specify to keep all data from the older version, it will merge and keep the most up to date data.

Example with these two leads:

pastedImage_0.png

I want to keep the data from the lead that was created on Mar 29, but when I merge the two together, it will modify the field Created with the Oct 5, 2016 date...

pastedImage_1.png

I tried by checking specific data, and by selecting all data (from the oldest lead) but it does not matter what I do, it will take the most recent date under the field Created.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Emmanuelle,

I ran some tests.

In fact it seems that, whatever we do, Marketo keeps the highest leadID (the most recently created lead) and it's creation date, indeed.

Unfortunate we cannot really choose the one we want to keep.

Thanks for notifying the community

If you log an idea about this, I'll vote

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You have my vote as well.  I did not realize this and this definitely isn't the desired behavior.  In fact, I've updated my matrix on how Marketo deals with duplicates in certain scenarios - in this post here: If duplicate leads are an issue, be aware of how Marketo determines which lead is active

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Dan Stevens​,

Thanks for posting your previous post! Sorry for not seeing it before posting mine. It is very interesting to see the breakdown of how Marketo's duplicate rules work. Thanks!

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Greg,

Thanks for running some tests Unfortunately, like you and Dan said, the way Marketo currently merges lead is not the desired behavior in some cases. I've added this idea to the community like you've recommended:

In the meantime, I've created a new field (Mkto Created on) and a smart list to push the first Created date to this field (using a token). Once this field has some data in it, it will not be erased by any new value. Even if I merge two leads together, it will ask me which value in this specific field I want to keep. That's my way to go around this in the meantime

Thanks for your help!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Emmanuelle,

Yes, this is the right workaround. To make it event better, make sure you block field update for any source, so that once set, it cannot be modified, even inadvertently.

-Greg

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Greg,

Yes I did! This value will be static and I have blocked all field updates That should solve my problem in the meanwhile.

Thanks!

Dan_Stevens_

It would be helpful to know what happens to some of the other fields that aren't available in the "conflicts" window.  For example, let's say we have two lead records in Marketo:

• One CRM Contact record
  • One Marketo lead record (with no record in CRM)

If we merge these, we'll want to retain the parentContactID from the CRM Contact record.  Same with parentAccountID.  I suspect it will depend on what the Created/Updated dates are.  Which does us no good.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Dan,

In case you merge a CRM lead with a CRM contact, my understanding is that the winning record is the contact. But I am not 100% sure of this, because I have never been able to make thing specific scenario work. Most of the time because there are too many rules and constraints on lead conversion ion the CRM that Marketo cannot fulfil.

May be this is different on MS Dynamics though.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

I don't even think that scenario is possible, Greg (at least not in MSD CRM).  In order to merge, the records must have the same CRM type (and must be done in CRM).  The scenario I was referring to was a CRM contact (in Marketo as a lead) and a Marketo lead.  In which case, the merge can happen within Marketo.