SOLVED

Re: Lead Databases not adding up

Go to solution
Julz_James
Level 10

Lead Databases not adding up

Hi,

I am trying to do  some overall lead counts and the totals aren't adding up.

I have set up some international segmentations and the total for these is: 207687

However, the International Lead Database says the count is: 226277

Can anyone explain the difference?

Thanks

Juli
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Juli, you are correct the default is intended to function in that way, as the catch all for leads that don't fit anywhere else. I am suprised that the total in the segmentation is less than your whole DB.

I have had to do a lot of head banging myself in doing similar types of DB analysis, although at the time I used smart lists instead of a segmentation. 

The key thing is to try to get a list of the ones that are not appearing in any of the segments and see if there are patterns. More often than not you'll see some data values that don't fit with the logic of your segmentation that makes it clear. 

I would start by running the smart list of all leads to see it if it matches up with the size of your partition as Josh suggested. 

Next do one that says [segment name] = blank and see what happens, etc. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Kim_Allen
Level 10

Hey Juli,

How do you have your segments set up? If you have other segments listed in order above these international ones, they'd catch the appropriate leads first so by the time leads get to the international segment choices, it would be less. Can you explain your set-up?

Kim
Julz_James
Level 10

Hi,

There are no other segments set up.

I have 3 lead paritions and I'm only talking about the International one.  In this partition the 'Lead Database' states 226227 Leads.  However in the segmentation I have set up (Partner, Competitor, Employee, Default) this only adds up to 207687.  I would assume that both would read the same number as they are counting the same thing.

Thanks

Juli
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

if you add a segment called "NULL" that captures people w/o customer information, what happens?

If you run a smart list = All Leads in this partition, what happens?

Julz_James
Level 10

Hi,  

How would I add a segment NULL?  I thought this is the Default segment, where all other data that doesn't fit into customer, competitor or employee goes?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Juli, you are correct the default is intended to function in that way, as the catch all for leads that don't fit anywhere else. I am suprised that the total in the segmentation is less than your whole DB.

I have had to do a lot of head banging myself in doing similar types of DB analysis, although at the time I used smart lists instead of a segmentation. 

The key thing is to try to get a list of the ones that are not appearing in any of the segments and see if there are patterns. More often than not you'll see some data values that don't fit with the logic of your segmentation that makes it clear. 

I would start by running the smart list of all leads to see it if it matches up with the size of your partition as Josh suggested. 

Next do one that says [segment name] = blank and see what happens, etc. 
Julz_James
Level 10

Hi everyone,

I've run the smart list counts against the segmentation counts and I get the following:

Competitor: Segment - 285; Smart List - 285
Employee: Segment - 4656; Smart List - 4651
Partner: Segment - 30103; Smart List - 30091
Default: Segment - 172737; Smart List - 172695

And then I did a count for 'Segment is not' any of the above and have found 18823!!

How do I get these leads into their correct segment?

Thanks

Juli