SOLVED

Re: Lead and Contact Status

Go to solution
Rachel_Bryan
Level 2

Lead and Contact Status

Okay, I am going to do my best to explain the issue we are experiencing.  Feel free to ask for more clarification if needed.

We have a very robust database already prior to Marketo, and many of the people in our database are already an SFDC type of contact.  In many cases, "leads" that are delivered to our sales team are actually contact records.  Because of this, in SFDC we do have a lead status field in leads (standard), and a custom contact status field in contacts.  Should our "Status" field in Marketo be mapped to both of these fields in SFDC, or should we have one Marketo field for Status (leads) mapped the lead status and one for contact status that is mapped to the contact status in SFDC?  The latter is how it was setup during on-boarding, but I am starting to see some issues with the way that it functions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Rachel,

1/ this belongs to Products . Please move it there Marketing Central is for generic marketing questions.

2/ I do prefer to have 1 Marketo field mapped to both and have the same statuses in both fields to reflect the capability of contacts to circle though the whole set of statuses over time. Honestly, I do not really see any real advantage in having 2 Marketo fields, as it will surely create confusion and errors on the longer term.

-Greg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Rachel,

1/ this belongs to Products . Please move it there Marketing Central is for generic marketing questions.

2/ I do prefer to have 1 Marketo field mapped to both and have the same statuses in both fields to reflect the capability of contacts to circle though the whole set of statuses over time. Honestly, I do not really see any real advantage in having 2 Marketo fields, as it will surely create confusion and errors on the longer term.

-Greg

Rachel_Bryan
Level 2

Thank you Greg!

If we were to map the one Marketo field to both salesforce fields, would the inputs need to be the same. 

For instance, today our lead statuses are:

• known
  • marketing qualified
  • contacting
  • engaged
  • remarket
  • unqualified

But our contact statuses are:

• known
  • marketing qualified
  • contacting
  • engaged
  • open opportunity
  • client
  • lost opportunity
  • remarket
  • unqualified

If we were to implement this change would we need to change the inputs for the lead status?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Rachel,

The fact that the statuses are not the same does not prevent the mapping.

But if this is not the case, you run the risk that someone inadvertently sets a lead to "Open Opportunity".

Also, the 3 statuses that are in contacts only will not show in the pick lists in Marketo UI, although this will not prevent you to use these statuses in "change data value" flow steps.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

and also, vote here: