SOLVED

Lead Activity Log

Go to solution
Mike_Mastropaol
Level 3

Lead Activity Log

Does your lead need to be logged into your website for their actions on your website to appear on their Activity Log? Or does Marketo associate that activity with the lead from the munchkin code even if the lead is not logged into your website?

I know Marketo captures anonymous information and can associate that activity once the anonymous becomes known. Is a person not logged into your website, even if you know them, considered anonymous to Marketo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Laberge1
Level 4

Re: Lead Activity Log

Yes, their web cookies will track them unless they are cleared.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Mike.

This site probably has all the answers you are looking for: http://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/lead-tracking/ 

In short, what is important for Marketo tracking is Munchkin.

Mike_Mastropaol
Level 3

Thank you. This link is helpful.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does your lead need to be logged into your website for their actions on your website to appear on their Activity Log? Or does Marketo associate that activity with the lead from the munchkin code even if the lead is not logged into your website?

"Logged into" doesn't really have any meaning in Marketo as there is no username/password security.

The term you may be looking for is "associated session": this means a Munchkin web session is linked with a named lead in your Marketo database, so web activities (pageviews and clicks) are logged to their activity log. There are 3 principal ways to get an associated session:

[1] click on a tracked link in a Marketo email that goes to a web page running Munchkin (automatic association)

[2] fill out a Marketo form on a page with a Munchkin cookie (end-user-driven self-association)

[3] call the special Munchkin associateLead API (developer-only, programmatic association)

Method [3] can be used if the person is authenticated to your site via other means (extranet/ecommerce/some other login) and you want to make their Munchkin session associated using the same email address.

Mike_Mastropaol
Level 3

This is helpful. Regarding option [1], if I know a lead, they've been sent Marketo tracked emails by me, and they've taken actions from that email, then all their activity on my munchkin coded web pages is tracked? Even if they visit my website independently, not via an email I sent?

Justin_Laberge1
Level 4

Yes, their web cookies will track them unless they are cleared.

Mike_Mastropaol
Level 3

Thanks! Very helpful!

SanfordWhiteman

This is helpful. Regarding option [1], if I know a lead, they've been sent Marketo tracked emails by me, and they've taken actions from that email, then all their activity on my munchkin coded web pages is tracked? Even if they visit my website independently, not via an email I sent?

Yes, as long as it's in the same browser in which they opened the email.

Mike_Mastropaol
Level 3

Great! So, lets say John gets an email from me, opens it on his work computer, he's a lead in my system, scored +10 for opening the email... He's home later and decides to visit my website from his iPad. His iPad activity on my site will not be associate with him, that will be considered anonymous by Marketo?

SanfordWhiteman

Correct. There's no way to breach this security barrier if John directly visits your site on a new device.