Issues with email templates

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues with email templates

Every time I edit an email template that is being used in an email, it unapproved the email and reverts it back to just the templates without any edits to the editable regions saved. 

Is anyone else running into this? HELP! 
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issues with email templates

What is probably happening is a draft is being created in the emails that are based on the template you modified.  When you send the email with a draft, the original previously approved email is sent.  Approve the draft and the email you send will reflect the changes you made in the template.

0EM50000000QnVG.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is another issue here where the editable regions are named differently or not at all.  If your original template for example has a region named "body" and your updated template does not have this, the email using this template will delete all content that was in the region "body".
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help!

The issue I am seeing is that when I edit the email template and then approve it. It unapproves all the emails using the template. The new draft that is created is just the email only showing the template without any edits previously made saved. Then if I approve it, it reverts the email back to just the template. 

I guess I just don't understand why (if I update the template), why it doesn't just update the email without removing all the changes previously made to the editable regions. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

(Sorry...the comment above is from me as well)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amber this sounds specifically like an issue with the naming of the editable sections.  Would you confirm these are named the same in both your old and new template?  If there is any change in the naming, the content will be overwritten, but otherwise this is not normally how the email designer works so it would be a new bug.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this suggestion Steven. I did double check and they are named the same. The template I created had some text that had to be updated. I simply removed a sentence from the template. I did not change any naming conventions of the editable regions. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amber, if you haven't done so already, you may want to open a case with Marketo tech support.  I'm very curious as to the cause of your problem and hope you get it resolved quickly.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

If I understand correctly, you have an editable area in your email template, which contains standard text. So when a new email is created, a user can leave the standard text in place, or choose to edit it, correct?

So then you are editing the email template to change the standard text within the editable area, and your expectation is that all emails based on this template will now show the updated text (after being approved), is that correct? 

The expected behavior is that it will update the default text in emails when the editable area has never been edited. If the editable area has been edited (even if nothing changed, but it was opened in the editor), then it will NOT update the editable area. This is because we don't want to delete unique content that somebody typed in. 

Please let me know if my assumptions are correct, and whether the expected behavior is in line with what you are seeing. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jep - I am having the same issue. I had to update the links in the footer section in a template. I made the update. Then I went to the emails that were using that template and they were all in draft state. So I went ahead and approved. But when I looked at the footer links, they still were the old URLs. So I had to manually go into the footer editable area to update the URLs and re-approve. So since I must have previously edited the footer section in that particular email, it didn't automatically update the footer with the new URLs that are in the template. Does this make sense to you?