SOLVED

Is There a Way to Automatically Populate a Field From Part of Another?

Go to solution
Catzilla
Level 2

Is There a Way to Automatically Populate a Field From Part of Another?

Hi all! 

In my instance, we often use a field called Email Address Domain as an efficient way to identify companies and organizations. Because our contacts often don't fill out the Company field in forms, or may describe themselves very differently, we prefer using the domain in a contact's email as a reference point. 

Currently we populate this field manually in excel when we upload a contact. We copy the email addresses and remove everything before the "@". I'm wondering if there's a way to populate this field in Marketo so we can do this automatically. I know it's possible to append a field using tokens, but I've never removed part of a field before. 

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Is There a Way to Automatically Populate a Field From Part of Another?

You can use JS on the Marketo form to set the hidden website/domain field based on the email address field or set the Email Address Domain field during the lead creation from the other sources. If the data's already in Marketo, you can use a webhook to update the Email Address Domain field from the email address field's value.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1

You can use JS on the Marketo form to set the hidden website/domain field based on the email address field or set the Email Address Domain field during the lead creation from the other sources. If the data's already in Marketo, you can use a webhook to update the Email Address Domain field from the email address field's value.

Catzilla
Level 2

These are great ideas! I hadn't considered using a webhook to update the value. Would you suggest finding an external service to connect to, or programming our own? I haven't worked with webhooks much, but one of my my coworkers may be able to create something. 

Darshil_Shah1

I would suggest using Flowboost! It can do this (and much more) effortlessly. 

Catzilla
Level 2

Thanks, I'll check it out!