SOLVED

Re: Is there a limit to the number of postal codes in a smart list?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a limit to the number of postal codes in a smart list?

I'm trying to target a section of a state and have listed 807 postal codes in my smart list, but I'm only showing 18,000+ in my audience and I know I have at least twice that.  Is there a limit to the number of postal codes you can put in the filter?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Sandy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

It is a little over 2,600, but I don't recall the exact number.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sandy,

I have seen limits to the number of line items in a smart list filter at 999, so I think you should be OK with 807.

Is it possible you said postal code IS xxxxx?  If so, you might want to change the filter to CONTAINS.  This would cover you when there are postal codes formatted with the additional 4 numbers (XXXXX-XXXX).

Thank you,

Courtney

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  That makes sense.  Really appreciate your help.

Sandy

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Sandy Hall​, there is a limit to the number of items you can have in a filter but it is some obscure number just over 2000 (I believe Elliott Lowe​ knows it )

As Courtney suggested, I would use a "starts with" or "contains" operator to include any zip codes that have the 4 digits at the end.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for this information!

Sandy

Elliott_Lowe1

It is a little over 2,600, but I don't recall the exact number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just built a filter with 6,000 rows, and it worked.

Elliott_Lowe1

I think the reason for our discrepancy is because Marketo's limit is based on the number of characters, not the number of values in the filter.  For example, I was able to add 2,279 email addresses to the Email Address field filter, but when I tried to add an additional email address, it would not allow it. However, I was able to add an additional value, but only if it was 9 characters in length. The same held true for the State field filter.  The total number of characters allowed in the filter was 47,721.  Similar to Michael, I was able to add 8,221 values (most 5-digit) to the Postal Code field filter, but strangely, the character count (41,780) was less than when I was using email addresses as the value.  The difference in character count is 5,941, which is the same as the additional number of values, so Marketo must also count the CR/LF character at the end of each value towards its limit.  So the total printable and non-printable character limit in a filter is about 50,000.