SOLVED

Is there a global setting that lets you block certain domains from receiving emails?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a global setting that lets you block certain domains from receiving emails?

I'm looking for a global place within Marketo to block emails that contain a specific domain from every going out of the system even if they happen to be on my send list.

Thanks,

-IB

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a global setting that lets you block certain domains from receiving emails?

There is no global domain blocking available, the main mechanism Marketo has for that purpose is black listing.

A triggered or recurring schedule batch smart campaign to set Black Listed = TRUE for all leads with an email address containing '@emaildomain' would effectively accomplish the same thing as a global domain block. Set it and forget it, no maintenance required unless you wanted to modify the list of blocked domains.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Is there a global setting that lets you block certain domains from receiving emails?

Hi Ian,

You'll want to use one of our system fields for this purpose.  When a Send Email flow step executes it checks four fields to see if a lead qualifies to receive an email:

Unsubscribed - used for when a lead requests not to receive Marketing Emails, will still receive operational
Marketing Suspended - For when you opt not to send non-operational emails to a lead
Email Invalid - Set when a bounce messaqge indicates that email address is invalid, will not be sent any email
Black Listed - Manually set for records that you do not want to receive any email, including operational

Depending on whether you want to send operational emails to these addresses you should use either Marketing Suspended, or Black Listed to manage these.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it helpfult o keep a smart campaign running that triggers on the domain name and automatically marks the record as blacklisted. I keep it running because you never know when a new person will come in from that domain and I don't want to accidentally send to them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other than having a running smart campaign, there is no default in the admin settings to block domains?  I could unsbuscribe each time I saw an email come in, but that extra maintainence I would think.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no global domain blocking available, the main mechanism Marketo has for that purpose is black listing.

A triggered or recurring schedule batch smart campaign to set Black Listed = TRUE for all leads with an email address containing '@emaildomain' would effectively accomplish the same thing as a global domain block. Set it and forget it, no maintenance required unless you wanted to modify the list of blocked domains.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate the advice!