SOLVED

Re: Is it possible to use a Marketo calendar token as a GoTo webinar registration (instead of a form-fill)?

Go to solution
Tracy_Boesken
Level 4

Is it possible to use a Marketo calendar token as a GoTo webinar registration (instead of a form-fill)?

Has anyone used a Marketo calendar token as a GoTo webinar registration? Off the top of my head, the only way I see this working is by tracking who downloads the calendar ics and manually entering their info into GoTo.

Thanks,

--Tracy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Is it possible to use a Marketo calendar token as a GoTo webinar registration (instead of a form-fill)?

This isn’t possible. Downloading an ICS file can’t be used as a registration because mail scanners are gonna follow your links. You’ll end up registering people who never even opened the email.

Now, speaking only in theory: a more complex embedded ICS file, which Marketo doesn‘t support natively, can expect a response (Accept/Decline). You’ve gotten those before, I’m sure. And the response could be processed by an automated system. So, I mean, it’s possible overall. But not with a Marketo email.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

This isn’t possible. Downloading an ICS file can’t be used as a registration because mail scanners are gonna follow your links. You’ll end up registering people who never even opened the email.

Now, speaking only in theory: a more complex embedded ICS file, which Marketo doesn‘t support natively, can expect a response (Accept/Decline). You’ve gotten those before, I’m sure. And the response could be processed by an automated system. So, I mean, it’s possible overall. But not with a Marketo email.

Tracy_Boesken
Level 4

Thanks Sanford!

Maybe Marketo will consider for future enhancements?

Riz_Alvi
Level 4

Hmm...

Sanford, what if you treat ICS as a click? Not sure what you mean by "mail scanner are going to follow links" ....if you are referring to bots than we have a program to filter out Bots. 

So "click" trigger a status change to "Registered" -----> Status "Registered" triggers registration on GoToWebinar? 

So the main question is can you register a person on GoToWebinar without filling a form.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Riz

Riz Alvi
SanfordWhiteman

Sanford, what if you treat ICS as a click? Not sure what you mean by "mail scanner are going to follow links" ....if you are referring to bots than we have a program to filter out Bots.

You’re assuming an efficacy to that feature which isn’t possible. Given the way it’s implemented — a list of spiders, not heuristic — it can’t accurately identify all automated scanners. (Quite easy to test, by the way: just put up a Barracuda VM and you’ll see it doesn’t catch the scanner hits.)

For something as sensitive as registering someone for a webinar, which can also mean you start sending them other marketing emails, it not practical.

So "click" trigger a status change to "Registered" -----> Status "Registered" triggers registration on GoToWebinar? 

So the main question is can you register a person on GoToWebinar without filling a form.

You can add someone to a Program, or change their Program Status, based on any activity. Whether that activity accurately reflects the human’s wishes is the question.