Re: Increase in Text Email Deliveries

Scott_Horner
Level 2

Increase in Text Email Deliveries

Starting in June 2019, we have noticed a 50% increase in links that were clicked via a text version of our emails vs. HTML. We know this because we use a different URL in the HTML version. We have seen our opens drop overall as well and assume that we are delivering more text emails vs HTML emails. Has anyone noticed this as a recent trend and are there any factors in our emails that could be causing an email client to choose the text vs. HTML version. Our email campaigns are the same year-after-year for each month, so we have a good handle on what to expect in regards to opens and clicks. But we aren't sure if we are contributing to the increase in text email deliveries or are there other trends out there that we aren't in control of?

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Interesting. Aside from the obvious -- somebody clicked the "Text Only" box inadvertently and so you're only sending text -- it's hard to say without looking at your actual markup.

Any connection between email app and the uptick in text clicks?

Is it possible that you introduced some bad HTML and your emails are simply unreadable, so people are switching over to the text version?

Or a large number of your subscribers switched to an advanced email client like The Bat!, which I use, and switched to Plain Text for security -- I'm kidding, but a guy can dream.

Scott_Horner
Level 2

We checked the text only flags first, but that wasn't it. The HTML might be an issue. I noticed a lot of unnecessary inline styles that I have removed and will know if that has an effect the next email.