Import List with leads, lead owners, contacts and contact owner changes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import List with leads, lead owners, contacts and contact owner changes

I have a list of individuals, some in SFDC, some not.  It has lead owners listed (we don't have lead owner rules in SFDC--we run in Marketo and even if we did, I'd want to override with this list).  Three questions:

1) Is there a way to sync a list into Salesforce keeping the lead owners from the uploaded list?
2) If I read help documents correctly, if an individual is already in SFDC as a contact if I sync a list into SFDC I will create a new lead thereby creating a duplicate?  Is that correct?  How do I get around that?
3) In general, I just seem to be doing the imports wrong--missing details like lead source.  Is there one preferred resource on the topic?  I have looked through help and am just not locating how to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you!!
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: Import List with leads, lead owners, contacts and contact owner changes

Hi Karen,

1) There was a recent discussion on this topic. Please see here. You can't import using the Lead Owner field directly, but there is a way around it.

2) Marketo will de-dupe at the email address level. If the email address of the person in your list matches an email address in SFDC (as a Contact or a Lead), the record will be updated and a duplicate will not be created.

3) I usually have a Trigger listening for the list import to change various fields like the Lead Source and Lead Status if the field is empty. This will only change the data for new leads.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Import List with leads, lead owners, contacts and contact owner changes

Just would like to add in regards to Karen's point number 2:

1) If you have a SF lead/contact named John Doe but it has no email address (which means no email address in MKTO), and you try to import a list with the same name but it has an email address, then a new MKTO lead record will be created.

2) Only when an existing contact (not a lead) is put through a "Sync lead to SFDC" flow, and assigned to a queue in the lead owner dropdown, then a duplicate lead will be created (https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LAAhCAO)