Implications of SFDC picklist value changes for "lead source" field on Marketo leads

Anonymous
Not applicable

Implications of SFDC picklist value changes for "lead source" field on Marketo leads

We are working on revising the lead sources values - renaming/merging/deleting them in SFDC. How will it impact Marketo leads bearing these values. 

What will happen if we Rename/merge/change a lead source picklist values, will it tickle the leads in Marketo when these updates are made, and put them into any of the programs campaigns. So for example, if some lead is Closed, the update to their Lead Source won't trigger that as another activity and update their status to Open again, putting it potentially in a nurture campaign.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Khushboo

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Implications of SFDC picklist value changes for "lead source" field on Marketo leads

It is rare that someone would have Lead Source be a trigger for something to happen in Marketo. Here are the potential impacts:
  • Check Admin > Field Management > Lead Source to see which assets are using this field.
  • Changing the picklist in SFDC will result in a warning in Marketo to update Forms that use this field.
  • You might have to adjust data management flows 
  • you might have to update hidden fields that use that field.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Implications of SFDC picklist value changes for "lead source" field on Marketo leads

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your response. 

I had a follow up question on the best practices around this sitiuation. We are deactivating certain values, inroducing new values, but we do not want to change any data on the leads (We want to retain the old values that they currently bear on them as we do not want to lose any historical data).  In that case, if we have campaigns that use "lead sources" as a filter, how should we deal with that. Will the leads in that campaign (with the same data values) stay within it or how do we retain that data after we introduce new calues in that campaign.

I am trying to preserve all current data so we have a base for future reporting needs, if any.

Can you help me think it through?

Thanks,
Khushboo