SOLVED

​I know you need to create a field called "exclusion" in order to prevent leads from receiving the same email twice, but how do I know that exclusion will actually exclude?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

​I know you need to create a field called "exclusion" in order to prevent leads from receiving the same email twice, but how do I know that exclusion will actually exclude?

Is there a way to set up the rules? Or does Marketo KNOW that 'exclusion' means to exclude leads from the email program?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: ​I know you need to create a field called "exclusion" in order to prevent leads from receiving the same email twice, but how do I know that exclusion will actually exclude?

Hi Caitlin, assuming that you're dropping actual programs into your engagement program (and not individual emails), Engagement Programs look for membership within that program to determine whether or not to add that person to the program at the time of a cast. By using the exclusion status, you're telling Marketo that this person is a member of the program and therefore they will not be added to the program again by the cast. 

Does this help clarify how the exclusion status works?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: ​I know you need to create a field called "exclusion" in order to prevent leads from receiving the same email twice, but how do I know that exclusion will actually exclude?

Caitlin,

I think you are confusing this with preventing leads from getting synced to/from SFDC.

If you aren't sure if a group of leads already received this email, you can try one of two things:

1. Find the people who DID receive the email with Was Sent Email
2. Find the people who NEVER received the email with NOT Was Sent Email 
Anonymous
Not applicable

No - I am referring to sending emails via an engagement program. I want to ensure that leads who received an asset don't receive it again in another email. I was instructed through a community forum to do this by adding "Program Status>Excluded" to Field Management. My question was regarding when I create the exclusion field in field management section - how do I set the rules that it will actually exclude leads from receiving the email?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the discussion I am referring to: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000Pvi1AAC
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Caitlin, assuming that you're dropping actual programs into your engagement program (and not individual emails), Engagement Programs look for membership within that program to determine whether or not to add that person to the program at the time of a cast. By using the exclusion status, you're telling Marketo that this person is a member of the program and therefore they will not be added to the program again by the cast. 

Does this help clarify how the exclusion status works?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I SUPPOSE IT DOES BUT THEN MY QUESTION IS _ HOW DO I ENSURE THAT LEADS DO NOT RECEIVE THE SAME EMAIL TWICE? I THOUGHT THIS WAS THROUGH THE EXCLUSION STATUS 

(PARDON THE CAPS _ MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN)

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I'm understanding everything correctly - the lead will not get the email from the program they are apart of since they are already in that program when the engagement cadence gets to them. The exclude status doesn't actually do anything -- it's more along the lines that they're in the program and therefore do not qualify to get email from that program.

So you'll want to set up smart campaigns that batch add people to the program or trigger people into the program with the exclusion status when they've interacted with the content that the program is going to send out in the engagement stream. Again, it's not because the exclusion status does anything special - but because they're now in the program and therefore disqualified when the lead goes through the stream and gets to that program.

Does that make sense?