SOLVED

Re: How to track marketo form fills on unique websites

Go to solution
JohnnyVillarini
Level 2

How to track marketo form fills on unique websites

Hi All,

I was curious as to what the best practices are for tracking Marketo form fills on websites with a specific URL. My current company started tracking these form fills like this:

test-screenshot-tracking.PNG

I am not sure if referrer is the correct section to use after doing more research and we can't use Web Page because, from my understanding, Web Pages are only created in Marketo. We would be tracking form fills from a unique URL on our website that uses a Marketo form. (These forms are used elsewhere, that is why we want to be able to track this specifically by website URLs that have our form embed on the site)

Would "Browser: contains" or "Querystring: contains" be better? Seems pretty straightforward but just wanted to double-check before updating this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The Referrer constraint is indeed correct for embedded forms.

Note the referrer of a form isn't the same as the HTTP Referer/document.referrer of the web page.

The form's referrer — in fact, the referrer of all assets on a page, and the referrer of Ajax requests — is the document URL shown in the Location bar. So it's exactly what you want: the URL of the page hosting the form.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

The Referrer constraint is indeed correct for embedded forms.

Note the referrer of a form isn't the same as the HTTP Referer/document.referrer of the web page.

The form's referrer — in fact, the referrer of all assets on a page, and the referrer of Ajax requests — is the document URL shown in the Location bar. So it's exactly what you want: the URL of the page hosting the form.

JohnnyVillarini
Level 2

Ahh okay thank you, Sanford. When I was reviewing the MCE Exam Guide, it said the referrer was for showing what page redirected them to the form fill page, so I was confused on whether or not this was tracking properly. I may have just misunderstood the review or it may be different as the constraint

SanfordWhiteman

it said the referrer was for showing what page redirected them to the form fill page

That is true for the Visit Web Page activity.

It is not true for the Filled Out Form activity, which is happening one level deeper inside the document.

Yvonne_Lai
Level 1

Yep. We can use Referrer to show any pages redirected people to your marketo form. These pages can be your company website page or if you place an ad on third party website, you may also use this "Referrer" to indicate any 3rd party links e.g. google or your own utm tracking code. [EDITED 2021-04-13 by Community Moderator, as this is an incorrect description of the Filled Out Form Referrer constraint.]

YL.
SanfordWhiteman

This is incorrect.

The Referrer constraint for an embedded form's Filled Out Form activity is the page on which the form appears, not the page that led someone to the form.

You're confusing the Referrer of a pageview with the referrer of a form post.

Yvonne_Lai
Level 1

Thanks for correcting! 

YL.