How to Target by Unique Identifier with Duplicates

Juliet_Crema
Level 2

How to Target by Unique Identifier with Duplicates

Hi everyone,

I recently inherited the Marketo instance at my company and have questions on how I can target by unique identifier in a situation where we utilize duplicates. Our unique identifier is email address and program, so one email address can have multiple records associated with several different programs. Additionally, when a record submits an apply now form, a new lead is created in SFDC and synced to Marketo. These apply now leads are routed very differently and assigned to non-marketing queues. I am trying to automate a campaign that targets these duplicate self apply records by unique identifier or email address in order to remove from a nurture flow, but because different SFDC record IDs are members of different smart lists/campaigns, I am running into difficulties in targeting them. Here is the outline:

smart lists

A -  New Self Apply Leads and duplicate fields = email address 

B - Member of Nurture and duplicate fields = email address

smart campaign

if member of smart lists in both (A and B) and duplicate fields = email address (Two separate records that cannot qualify for both)

flow - mark cadence as paused

My goal and thought process is if an email address is going through our nurture program and then progresses to a new self apply lead, we definitely do not want to keep emailing and encouraging them to start an application! I understand what I've got so far is messy due to the way we are handling the self apply leads and because the records in smart lists A vs B have the history of separate records on their log, and therefore not triggering the regular pause nurture campaign. So unfortunately I cant write the logic like "member of smart list A and opened email was from the nurture". Worst case scenario is I have to use vlookup from exports and manually remove, but looking for any advice on this, thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to Target by Unique Identifier with Duplicates

Our unique identifier is email address and program, so one email address can have multiple records associated with several different programs.

The "program" in this case being a custom Lead field, I assume? Not directly tied to the Marketo Program hierarchy.

A single lead can be in more than one Marketo Program at once, by definition, so they never have a "a program." Just getting the terminology straight.

Juliet_Crema
Level 2

Re: How to Target by Unique Identifier with Duplicates

Hi Sanford,

I should have clarified on what I meant by program for the unique identifier. We work with schools so program examples could be Human Resources, Project Management, Business/IT. Any Marketo program membership is not part of the unique identifier. 

For example, we could have record A -  juliet@gmail.com with program of interest = HR going through the nurture. If a new self apply lead, record B, is created with email address juliet@gmail.com and program of interest = HR (same unique identifier), I want to make sure record A does not keep getting nurture emails. Because a new record B is created that did not run through the nurture I am not sure how to connect them back so that duplicate unique identifier qualifies for the pause nurture campaign. Please let me know if I need to further clarify on anything else! Thank you.