Re: How to see a leads activity in a smart campaign: what program did that lead come from?

Adrian_Cardelle
Level 2

How to see a leads activity in a smart campaign: what program did that lead come from?

Hi all!

I have a trigged smart campaign (in Default Program A), set up to listen when someone fills out a particular global form that we have in one of our website pages. It is set up for registration to a future event. The flow step is currently set just to change the program status to "Live Event> Registered". 

I have then set up several separate default programs (Default program B, Default program C, etc, all unrelated events) but that include within them email batch programs that send out emails with a link to our website for the future event above so they may register if interested.  

How can I then set up a system or flow step where I can tell WHAT program someone came from, when they do sign up for the future event and added to the smart campaign in Default program A?

4 REPLIES 4
Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Re: How to see a leads activity in a smart campaign: what program did that lead come from?

Do you use UTM parameters? If yes, put the utm_camapign name same as the email program name when you add the link in the email. Capture this UTM_camapign parameter value in a hidden field.Now you have two choices:

1. add a conditional flow step in Default program A and add the member to appropriate program based on utm_campaign value. If you anticipate a large number of email programs more than 15, this might not work in longer run as there is a limitation on the "Choices" you can add in flow step.

pastedImage_1.png
  2. Create a triggered smart campaign in Default program B or Default program C to listen the global form fill out with a filter on utm_campaign like below:

pastedImage_2.png

and in the flow, add flow step to change the respective program status.
Adrian_Cardelle
Level 2

Hey Amit!

Thank you very much. I am new to Marketo and know there's a lot of ways you can do things and I am also still trying to grasp the concept of a few of these things. I believe this is a very good way to go about it and will test this out to implement it!  Thank you! 

Angharad_Kearle
Level 2

Hey! If I'm understanding this correctly, you just want to know the source of your future event registrations. 

You could set up a trigger campaign to add them to a static list if they register using the UTM from Default program B or Default program C.

1. Filter for smart list

pastedImage_1.png

2. Add a flow step for 'Add to list' 

Angharad Kearle
Adrian_Cardelle
Level 2

Thank you Angharad! This is also a good way to go about it.