SOLVED

Re: How to remove tracking from landing pages

Go to solution
Megan_Reed1
Level 4

That makes sense. I was testing it by clearing all of my cache and cookies, visiting the landing page, filling out the form then visiting a few pages on www.netgainit.com to make sure those were not displaying in the activity log. Then I went back to the landing page (without clearing my cache/cookies and only by knowing the URL, the URL is not linked from any other page or to any other page), filled out the form with another email and looked at that activity log which showed the webpages I visited on www.netgainit.com. 

With your clarity, it must be because I visited the pages then filled out the form which would be an "exit link". I just tested by continuously filling out the form (as the caller would) and it work. Although it seems I'll have to have our internal person clear their cache/cookie before they start (in case they had been on our website for any reason that day). 

Is this the best/only way to accomplish this task?
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Megan R Actually the scenario you're describing is different from the exit link.  What's happening in your case is the automatic cookie association with the latest lead, which occurs because there is an existing cookie.

Try adding the following in the HEAD of your LP:

<script>document.cookie = "_mkto_trk=;path=/;domain="+window.location.host+";expires=0"</script>

The idea here is that we create an empty Munchkin cookie for the offers.netgainit.com subdomain only.  This won't overwrite the the Munchkin cookie that someone has elsewhere, but should prevent that "knowable" cookie from being sent with the form post.

Ryan_Allen
Level 1

Hey @SanfordWhiteman , similar vein to this thread, having some issues with event sign in landing pages (program setup to mark as "attended" upon form fill) Munchkin tracking is turned off, I realize this thread is 5 years old so not sure if that script is still valid, but the issue I'm trying to address is the same GAClientID being assigned to each lead upon form fill. Since these are all done from the same device it presents an issue with reporting/ accurate tracking.  Any chance you can point me in the right direction? 

Thanks!

Ryan

SanfordWhiteman

Kind of confused about what this has to do with Munchkin?  GA doesn't get its info from the Munchkin cookie, totally different. (Unless you make them the same programmatically.)

Ryan_Allen
Level 1

Ok thanks for clarifying! Will discuss with our developer further. 

Megan_Reed1
Level 4

Strange results - I tested 3 form fill outs, one after the other and inbetween visited a couple of pages on www.netgainit.com.

Test 1 obviously worked.

Test 2 worked (I visited 2 pages on the site with Munchkin tracking and they did not appear in the activity log.)

Test 3 didn't work. Test 3 shows the 4 pages visits I made (2 inbetween test 1 & 2 and another 2 pages inbetween test 2 &3). Then shows the form fill out and subsquent page visits. 

Weird, huh?
SanfordWhiteman

http://offers.netgainit.com/phonecalls.htm now redirects to your home page so I can't really comment on that.
Megan_Reed1
Level 4

Hi Sanford - I apologize for that and greatly appreciate your help. The URL is working again if you have a chance to take a look. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Landing page templates no longer have the <php tracking line> but now have a drop down menu that allows you to enable and disable tracking
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Bryan, where is this option located?  I don't see that anywhere within the landing page editor.