How to prevent old campaign member history syncing with Marketo?

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

How to prevent old campaign member history syncing with Marketo?

I'm dealing with a problem and hoping to get some answers here. So we actually have million of data in our Marketing systems but we only sync specific sets of records in SFDC and Marketo. So every 6 months we do an exercise to look at the account level and see if that fits our GTM strategy for the coming half year. In that process, deleted and add a lot of records in Marketo but SFDC has everything. For the deleted records, we update "Sync to Marketo" = False and "Marketo Deleted"= True and prevent them from syncing back to Marketo using a custom sync rule.

Now SFDC had additional data sources like event platform/trials etc. What we want to do is to re-sync some of the previously deleted records if they engage with high-value campaigns like events or signup for a trial. The problem with re-sync is that it not only re-syncs the lead/contact but also past campaign membership history.

With this old campaign member history syncing back to Marketo, the scoring triggers and in some cases qualify these records to MQL instantly which we want to prevent from happening. Did anyone deal with this kind of issue?

I was thinking if it's possible to have a custom sync rule applied to Campaign members similar to what we do to limit the leads/contact sync. not sure if that's possible but checking with Marketo support on that. Does anyone have any other ideas on the same? 

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to prevent old campaign member history syncing with Marketo?

What happens if you constrain the Activity Date on the Added to SFDC Campaign so that it has to be earlier than today?

The other approach would be to constrain on Status and have different campaign statuses for people who were just made visible.

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Re: How to prevent old campaign member history syncing with Marketo?

Hi @SanfordWhiteman, Thank you for replying. 

All the campaign activities will have todays' date activity date if they are getting re-introduce today. For this to work properly, I would require the actual date of the campaign member association date. I do see that in the filter but not in the trigger. Maybe I have to change all triggers into filters to make it work.

I like the idea of having a different status for the people who just made it visible but not sure how this will affect the reporting/apex code, other things in SFDC including thrid party attribution tools like FCI and Bizible. Changing SFDC campaign member statuses might need some work on that ground as well. 

Thank you again for your suggestions. 🙂 I'll play around more and see how this turns out.

Regards,

Amit