SOLVED

Re: How to only email people once a month (subscription center option)

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to only email people once a month (subscription center option)

I've set up a subscription center that gives people the option of choosing how frequently they want emails and one of the options is monthly. I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of program I can create to make sure these people only get emailed once a month. Has anyone ever done this before and can help point me in the right direction? Is this even possible to do automatically (versus manually)?

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi Alyssa,

You could set up a trigger smart campaign that fires when they are delivered an email with a filter to check if they opted for the once a month option. Then in the flow, you mark them as marketing suspended, add a 30 day wait, and then set marketing suspended to false.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi Alyssa,

You could set up a trigger smart campaign that fires when they are delivered an email with a filter to check if they opted for the once a month option. Then in the flow, you mark them as marketing suspended, add a 30 day wait, and then set marketing suspended to false.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

IMHO, simplest and surest way. Good catch.

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

One thing to be careful of is if there are multiple such campaigns, which could cause someone to be opted back in earlier than the 30 day wait time if you're not careful and don't setup filters to check if they're a part of the other suspend campaigns.

Andy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andy,

That is what I was thinking of doing, except that sounds like they're only taking a 30 day break, not limiting the lead to 1 email per month. Did I read this wrong?

Thanks!

Alyssa

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Alyssa,

You are right, they will take a 30 days break as soon as they receive an email. This is not exactly as if you would send 1 email per calendar month.

To limit to 1 email per calendar month, create a field (type checkbox).

Create a triggered smart campaign that sets to Marketing suspended these people when they are sent an email (trigger: email is delivered). do not set the wait and the following step to cancel the suspended. As a replacement create a batch smart campaign that set every lead in the list to non suspended on the 1st day of the month at 12:01 AM.

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

I agree that is the best way to handle a true "once a month" type email limitation, but the thing to be careful with this is that it'll become possible for you to send them one email during the last few days of Month 1 and then send another email in the first few days of Month 2. While you're technically not violating the agreement of 1 email a month, it's not an ideal end user experience.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Andy,

I agree, but sending 1 email per calendar month was the question asked

-Greg

Abhilash_M
Level 2

Hi Greg,

I created a Global campaign (trigger: email is delivered) and suspending leads based on weekly/monthly choices provided on Preference center page.

My question is, If a person is receiving a confirmation/Thank-you email up on filling a form should we consider it as a 1 email received and mark the person as suspended?

Or is there a way to exclude these people from the trigger campaign.

Thanks!

Abhilash

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

That's a good question because there is no way to accurately separate an operational email from a marketing one in filters and triggers.

Vote

In the meantime, you will have to use some naming convention to separate them. we always prefix operational email names with OP- . Then you can use constraints in filters and triggers to exclude emails containing "OP-" or starting with "OP-".

-Greg