SOLVED

How to implement One-Click Email Unsubscribe ?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to implement One-Click Email Unsubscribe ?

Hello, I'd like for an email recipient to have to only CLICK a link in an email in order to be unsubscribed, not have to fill out a form on a landing page.

What is the best practice in implementation?
What are some of the potential drawbacks of using this approach?

Thanks,
Isaac
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to implement One-Click Email Unsubscribe ?

So what it depends on is the click. Where your click takes you, whether it uses a URL parameter or goes to a unique page. If the user has javascript or cookies blocked it could potentially prevent the registering of the unsubscribe. 

If you really wanted to do it, I'd create an unsubscribed segment or form 2.0 with conditional logic, and create a smart campaign >> clicks link in email contains OR visits webpage contains then change data value, unsubscribed = true. But on the specific landing page you create, if you were to use a segment (unsubscribed = true), then you could filter the form dynamically to show text instead - "thank you for unsubscribing".

I just wouldn't want to do something where a user could potentially slip through the cracks & not be unsubscribed, a link could get tracked to the wrong person & someone could unsubscribe someone else. The form just makes it certain. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what it depends on is the click. Where your click takes you, whether it uses a URL parameter or goes to a unique page. If the user has javascript or cookies blocked it could potentially prevent the registering of the unsubscribe. 

If you really wanted to do it, I'd create an unsubscribed segment or form 2.0 with conditional logic, and create a smart campaign >> clicks link in email contains OR visits webpage contains then change data value, unsubscribed = true. But on the specific landing page you create, if you were to use a segment (unsubscribed = true), then you could filter the form dynamically to show text instead - "thank you for unsubscribing".

I just wouldn't want to do something where a user could potentially slip through the cracks & not be unsubscribed, a link could get tracked to the wrong person & someone could unsubscribe someone else. The form just makes it certain. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionally, if you don't use the form to submit the change you won't see the "Unsubscribe from email" attribution so those numbers will be off/incorrect. The act of submitting the form after the clicked link in the email causes said attribution.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There is a similar thread on this earlier in the week. I agree with Adam and Jesse that there is too much risk in doing a one click unsub. You can definitely use prefill and the basic unsubscribe to make it super easy for the lead.

But I would go down Adam's path and develop a whole sub system.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just in addition, there are anti-spam systems like Barracuda that will go through random links in your email (weird but true), and it will be counted as real page visits. So if you use 1-click unsub and the lead uses Barracuda, you can lose him.
We realized it after a series of mysterious downloads that the leads didn't really do, and renounced the tempting idea of "1-click anything" for the future.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for your input and considerations.

I feel the same way about the risks involved and didn't know about many of these (like Barracuda).

Best,
Isaac