How to get rid of old assets

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

How to get rid of old assets

Hi All,

We have been using our instance from almost a decade now as a result we now have a lot of inactive and old assets in our instance which is causing many issues at our end. Can someone share any best practice on how to  get rid of these? I know about archiving but it will not solve our purpose. I want to somehow mass delete the old/inactive assets. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Amit

8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Pickles
Level 7

Re: How to get rid of old assets

Hi Amit,

I don't believe there is any bulk delete process available to us within Marketo itself. This is something that Marketo Professional Services can likely help with.

Just keep in mind that Smart Lists/Campaigns that refer to one another will prevent deletion so there may be a process required of you to clear this out.

Amit_Jain

Thanks Josh for your reply. I had a quick chat with Marketo professional services as well.. they said either you can move to a new instance or delete these manually. Moving to a new instance is not an option for us since we have 40 BUs and Marketo is connected with several different systems. I did some more research and found that there are APIs available to do delete these assets. May be a custom API development will solve this. I'm exploring that option as well now. And yes, I agree, if there are dependencies on another asset, we have to first delete that one or release the dependency from there. With that I'm guessing that it will need manual effort as well.

Josh_Pickles
Level 7

It's a pretty manual process, but it's worth it in the end to have things all tidied up.

Hala_Samow2
Level 1

Please keep us updated on your findings, Amit! I'm in midst of cleaning our instance as well and facing the same issue. Using Marketo Professional Services or deleting manually are the only options I've identified at the moment.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Amit, I'm liking the idea of leveraging the API for a better asset management system.  Good thinking - their may even be a product in that

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

their may even be a product in that

Highly doubtful because the number of API calls made by even a small team, if all changes are committed to Marketo, would easily overwhelm API limits.

For a small, controlled cleanup project (and even then paced out over several days) it could work.

Saurabh_Pal
Level 1

Hey Amit,

You can use Marketo API for bulk deletion of assets. It's pretty simple and easy to understand. Please  go through the Marketo Developer portal and all the information is given in a very simple manner there.

Deletion of a program has few dependencies also but all the information clearly can be found on the portal.

Amit_Jain

Hi Saurabh,

I'm exploring the same option right now and will probably be going with that. I'm just waiting for the Marketo professional services to take a look on my approach here and see what they come up with.

Regards,
Amit