Re: How to Get Contact-Opportunity Relationships in Dynamics to Sync to Marketo?

Adam_Monago2
Level 2

How to Get Contact-Opportunity Relationships in Dynamics to Sync to Marketo?

Hi Gang,

We are in the process of testing our Dynamics 365 sync to Marketo in our Sandbox. 

We were pleasantly surprised to find that our Contact-Opportunity relationships previously managed as Dynamics Connections sync'ed with no additional effort. From what we can deduce, Marketo will sync any contacts associated to the opportunity via a connection of "connection role category" = "external".  Yay!

What we cannot figure out is this:

We were hoping to put a primary contact relationship on the Opportunity itself.  If we create a contact relationship on the opportunity record via a lookup field to the contact object and update this value, it does not get sync'ed to Marketo.

We followed our consultant's advice and looked at any contacts that synced where "Has Opportunity" equals True, but all of these are associated as Connections.

Does anyone have any guidance on how the association should be set up within Dynamics 365 to allow this to work?

Thank you,
Adam

4 REPLIES 4
Paul_Wilson8
Level 4

Re: How to Get Contact-Opportunity Relationships in Dynamics to Sync to Marketo?

Good day Adam Monago​ - good question!

In my experience there is a very specific field to denote the primary contact related to an Opportunity for Marketo to see the relationship. That field is the customerid field in MSD on the Opportunity, a standard field. If you use a custom lookup field Marketo doesn't know that that field's purpose is to connect the Contact and the Opportunity.

Please let me know if you have resolved this, or if I can help you further on this!

Regards,

PW

Suzy_Lee
Level 2

Hi Paul,

Our CRM Dynamics team ask me to list things that I would like to sync between Marketo and CRM, Do you have any pre-built concept template I can refer to?

Thanks

Suzy from SoftwareONE

Adam_Monago2
Level 2

Thanks Paul for the reply. For whatever reason I only encountered it now, but it is useful.

John_M
Marketo Employee

You might find this blog useful Opportunity Attribution for Dynamics Integrations