Re: How to disable opp creation on lead conversion?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to disable opp creation on lead conversion?

I found a thread on the SFsupport site showing how to replace the CONVERT button on leads to bypass the default opp creation upon lead to contact conversion.  BUT my question is this: Will that also forego opp creation upon lead conversion from Marketo? In other words, I have a smart campaign with a lead conversion step. When I applied that step last week, SF created opps for all those leads, which I do not want. If I replace the CONVERT button in SF with a custom button that doesn't create an opp upon lead conversion, will that also work when Marketo converts leads to contacts? If not, how do I use the Marketo lead to contact convert step without automatically creating opps?

8 REPLIES 8
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Steven, from everything that I've read, converting in Marketo is not typically done because you cannot turn off the feature where it automatically creates an opp upon conversion. If anyone has found differently it would be great to know!

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Steven Toole​, the way I have gotten around this in the past is to use some Apex code in SFDC to convert the lead without creating an opportunity.

Create a custom checkbox field in SFDC called "Convert Lead without Opportunity" or something similar. Use this field as the trigger in your Apex.

This way, instead of using a "Convert Lead" flow step you simply use a "Change Data Value" flow step, change that field to true, and your Apex trigger does the rest. 

I'd share the code with you but it was at a former company and it's not mine to share.

Message me and I can give you some more details though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Justin Norris​: I have the exact same use case (find a workaround for converting leads to contacts via Marketo without creating an opportunity at the same time), and came across this solution.

Would you be able to share any more details with me around the Apex code?

Thanks!

Tom

Justin_Norris1

Hey Tom, I'll send you a PM.

Claire_Gould
Level 1

Can you send me a PM as well about this? Thanks!

Justin_Norris1

I sent you a message Claire.

Kat_Jackson
Level 1

Would it still be possible to get further details around the APEX code?

Ricardo_Cortés
Level 1

Hello @Justin_Norris1 thanks for your solution. Could you please send me the Apex code?