SOLVED

Re: how to create a new program type?

Go to solution
Teresa_Hsu1
Level 4

how to create a new program type?

Hi there,

Is there a way to add a new program type?  We want to separate Sales activities from Marketing Activities.  So, I want to create a program type for that.  Otherwise, I can only put them in default?

Thank you!

Teresa

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Caryl_Mostacho
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

Hi Teresa,

You've only got the existing Program Types to choose from.

You could create a new program channel tag as suggested above but you may want to track you different channels (like webinar, tradeshow, email blast) on the whole regardless of which department is running them.

Perhaps what you can do is create a tag that you can add to your programs. Something that you can add to distinguish programs that are Sales Activities and programs that are Marketing Activities. You could create a tag called Activity Type or Department and have Sales and Marketing as options

So for example you can have:

a Sales program that is a trade show with the tags - Program Channel - Tradeshow, and Department - Sales

a Marketing program that is a trade show with the tags - Program Channel - Tradeshow and Department - Marketing

The great thing about tags is you can use these for report filtering.

You can find more information on tags here:

Understanding Tags - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Use Tags in a Program - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Create Custom Tags - Marketo Docs - Product Docs https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Use+Tags+in+a+Program

Create a New Program Tag and Tag Values - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Teresa,

Not sure what you mean. You can't create a new program type, because there are only the few created by Marketo that determines what functionalities the program will be performing. Normally one would just create two separate default programs - one for Sales and the other for Marketing - and build each kind of campaign under their respective program. You can also create separate channel tags for both Sales and Marketing so the success points and the reporting will be separated from each other.

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Marketo just has 3 types of programs and you can not add more. However, you can leverage channels to create programs with different progression status. For Sales Activity, I would recommend creating a separate channel as Sales Ops. In this, you can include progressions like 'Sent Sales Insight Email', 'Add to Drip Campaign from Sales Insight', 'Enriched by Sales Insight' and so on...

Caryl_Mostacho

Hi Teresa,

You've only got the existing Program Types to choose from.

You could create a new program channel tag as suggested above but you may want to track you different channels (like webinar, tradeshow, email blast) on the whole regardless of which department is running them.

Perhaps what you can do is create a tag that you can add to your programs. Something that you can add to distinguish programs that are Sales Activities and programs that are Marketing Activities. You could create a tag called Activity Type or Department and have Sales and Marketing as options

So for example you can have:

a Sales program that is a trade show with the tags - Program Channel - Tradeshow, and Department - Sales

a Marketing program that is a trade show with the tags - Program Channel - Tradeshow and Department - Marketing

The great thing about tags is you can use these for report filtering.

You can find more information on tags here:

Understanding Tags - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Use Tags in a Program - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Create Custom Tags - Marketo Docs - Product Docs https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Use+Tags+in+a+Program

Create a New Program Tag and Tag Values - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Teresa_Hsu1
Level 4

Hello Caryl,

Do you know how tag will be sync to SFDC?  Because we also want to be able to filter out sales activities in Marketing reporting.

Thank you!

Teresa

Caryl_Mostacho

Hi Teresa do you sync your programs with SFDC campaigns?

Teresa_Hsu1
Level 4

I use "add to sfdc campaign" to sync information we want them to appear in sfdc instead of the whole campaign.  Not sure how tags appear in sfdc?

Caryl_Mostacho

Hi Teresa,

Are you pulling reports within Marketo or in Salesforce?

If you're pulling them in SFDC, tags are a marketo feature so this may not be the solution that you need, they're used for organizing and reporting within Marketo.

Option:

You could implement a naming convention on your program names that differentiate sales programs from marketing programs and use that to filter your campaign reports in SFDC. 

Teresa_Hsu1
Level 4

That's what I think.  Because I can't find anywhere to sync tag value to SFDC.  Reports are pulled from Salesforce.

I guess I'll create a new field in SFDC to make it easier.

Thank you for your answers!  Very helpful!