SOLVED

Re: How to combine 2 fields

Go to solution
Julz_James
Level 10

How to combine 2 fields

Hi all,

I need to try to merge the contents of two fields in my instance.  Over time we have had create a 'Product Interest' field and also an 'Area of Interest' field. 

What I would like to do is take everything from the 'Area of Interest' field and get it put into the 'Product Interest' field.  Is there a way to do this without overwriting what's already in the product interest field?

Thanks

Juli

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Juli,

You can do this with a smart campaign, custom field, and some tokens.

You have:

Product Interest and Area of Interest, and you'll need to create a custom field.

Basically, you're going to take the value from Product Interest, the one you want to "win" in the end, and move it to a temporary field.  This will save the value, but also allow you to write to Product Interest without fear of losing what was there.  Then you you can use a smart campaign to write both the values from Product Interest(now in the custom field) and Area of Interest back into the original Product Interest field.

You can do this with a smart campaign set up like this:

Smart List                                                                     Flow

Product Interest > Is Not Empty                                   Change Data Value (New Custom Field Name) > New Value is {{lead.Product Interest}}

(This gets all leads with a value in that field)               (This will move the value from Product Interest to the new custom field)

Once this campaign has run you can then create the campaign below to combine the fields and put the values back into the Product Interest field.

Smart List                                             Flow

Product Interest > Is Not Empty           Change Data Value (Product Interest) > New Value is {{lead.(custom field name)}} + {{lead.Area of Interest}}

(To get the same members)                (This will overwrite the Production Interest field with the two values in the other fields, one of which is the

same Product Interest value. You can separate the two values however you like, the the "+" can be a dash or

comma.)

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

John

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's some information about field management... if you scroll down on this document you will see how to Merge fields

Change the Type of a Marketo Custom Field - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

ALSO: I moved your post to the Products and Support

Juli James

Julz_James
Level 10

Thanks Scott...I looked on the doc and couldn't see the bit about Merging.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Juli,

You can do this with a smart campaign, custom field, and some tokens.

You have:

Product Interest and Area of Interest, and you'll need to create a custom field.

Basically, you're going to take the value from Product Interest, the one you want to "win" in the end, and move it to a temporary field.  This will save the value, but also allow you to write to Product Interest without fear of losing what was there.  Then you you can use a smart campaign to write both the values from Product Interest(now in the custom field) and Area of Interest back into the original Product Interest field.

You can do this with a smart campaign set up like this:

Smart List                                                                     Flow

Product Interest > Is Not Empty                                   Change Data Value (New Custom Field Name) > New Value is {{lead.Product Interest}}

(This gets all leads with a value in that field)               (This will move the value from Product Interest to the new custom field)

Once this campaign has run you can then create the campaign below to combine the fields and put the values back into the Product Interest field.

Smart List                                             Flow

Product Interest > Is Not Empty           Change Data Value (Product Interest) > New Value is {{lead.(custom field name)}} + {{lead.Area of Interest}}

(To get the same members)                (This will overwrite the Production Interest field with the two values in the other fields, one of which is the

same Product Interest value. You can separate the two values however you like, the the "+" can be a dash or

comma.)

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

John

Julz_James
Level 10

Thanks John this is awesome, thankyou!