SOLVED

How to capture the acquisition program with a trigger campaign?

Go to solution
TLange
Level 1

How to capture the acquisition program with a trigger campaign?

Hi there.

For all new faces, I'd like to capture their acquisition program. I know I could implement this for each program individually - but I was wondering if I could do the same thing with just one global trigger campaign.

My idea was as follows:

TLange_0-1685523215101.png

TLange_1-1685523245725.png

But what do I put as new value? Trigger-tokens don't provide the name of the program. And {{program.name}} doesn't provide the correct name either.
Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TiffanyD
Level 2

Re: How to capture the acquisition program with a trigger campaign?

Marketo automatically sets an acquisition program the first time a new name enters the system as a program member.  This is the preferred method and instead of managing acquisition program, you may want to switch your focus to managing program membership!

There are multiple ways a person can become a member of a program -

- Form fillout on a landing page (local to a program)

- List import into a program static list

- Use change program status flow step (to anything - doesn't need to be a success status!)

- Webinar attend/registration with a webinar synced to an event program

- person checked in with the Marketo iPad check-in app 

- person added to a SFDC campaign that is using the native sync to a program

I would identify the gaps in your process where records are not attaining program membership, and the acquisition program will be set without any additional effort.

In MOPS We Trust,
Tiffany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Marketo doesn’t populate Acquisition Program Name for embedded form fills, post to Marketo forms, CRM/API/Manually created records, and records imported via a list import with None selected in the Acquisition Program. For these, the most widely used way to capture the Acquisition Program is at the program level because that's where you can reference the local program-specific tokens in your flow steps. A new person getting created in Marketo may not be tagged to any program to start with (in case they are created by the sources mentioned above), and that's the reason the trigger campaign specifically with the Person Is Created trigger would not work, but if at all you want a single place where the Acquisition Program Name gets updated, you can use an executable campaign for this. You execute this campaign using the Execute Campaign flow step and update the Anquisition Program from there in one central place.

HumlDavid
Level 2

Darshil,

I tried this suggested solution, unfortunately this did not work form me as this token is not applicable for Acquisition Program field. Any other suggestion.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 134605.png

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@HumlDavid, you're right. This is one of the rare instances where tokens cannot be used to define the AP name. You must hard-code the new value in this field. FWIW, Marketo has a validation in place that validates whether the value in the CDV Acquisition Program is a valid Program Name or not, and apparently, it cannot resolve tokens; instead, it just throws an error, and when this flow step is run, the "No new value supplied in the campaign" error is thrown in the person's activity log.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1706110436438.png

TiffanyD
Level 2

Marketo automatically sets an acquisition program the first time a new name enters the system as a program member.  This is the preferred method and instead of managing acquisition program, you may want to switch your focus to managing program membership!

There are multiple ways a person can become a member of a program -

- Form fillout on a landing page (local to a program)

- List import into a program static list

- Use change program status flow step (to anything - doesn't need to be a success status!)

- Webinar attend/registration with a webinar synced to an event program

- person checked in with the Marketo iPad check-in app 

- person added to a SFDC campaign that is using the native sync to a program

I would identify the gaps in your process where records are not attaining program membership, and the acquisition program will be set without any additional effort.

In MOPS We Trust,
Tiffany