SOLVED

How should I be using the Site vs. Website fields in the Company Info breakdown of a lead record?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I be using the Site vs. Website fields in the Company Info breakdown of a lead record?

I am trying to understand the difference between these two fields in our Marketo instance: Site and Website both exist as separate fields in our Company Info breakdown of a lead record. See attachment for a visual reference.

I am documenting all of our fields in Marketo to help us prevent unintentional duplicate fields as well as to get a handle on all of the existing fields. Initially, I thought one of these fields was created when I imported a program into our instance (from the Marketo Program Library or similar), but both fields are not referenced by any program and have never been used (yet).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: How should I be using the Site vs. Website fields in the Company Info breakdown of a lead record?

Hi Sean,

Website is field that comes from your CRM. It's mapped with website lead field and website account field. AFAIK, thes 2 fields are free entry fields in SFDC and as such can be edited. Webiste is also a Salesforce standard field.

Site is a Marketo only field and is not sync'ed with the CRM. Most of the time it remains empty and there is apparently no Marketo built-in mechanism to compute a value for this field. As a non sync'ed field, IMHO, it does not have much of interest.

Honestly, I do not understand why Marketo has not automatically mapped Site with webiste in the first place.

I would use website.

-Greg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: How should I be using the Site vs. Website fields in the Company Info breakdown of a lead record?

I'd suggest speaking with your CRM Admin and looking at Admin > Field Management for further details. It may be a default CRM field or a custom one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops I should have noted that we are not integrated with a CRM at this point.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sean,

Website is field that comes from your CRM. It's mapped with website lead field and website account field. AFAIK, thes 2 fields are free entry fields in SFDC and as such can be edited. Webiste is also a Salesforce standard field.

Site is a Marketo only field and is not sync'ed with the CRM. Most of the time it remains empty and there is apparently no Marketo built-in mechanism to compute a value for this field. As a non sync'ed field, IMHO, it does not have much of interest.

Honestly, I do not understand why Marketo has not automatically mapped Site with webiste in the first place.

I would use website.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg. We are not sync'd up with our CRM yet, so I wonder if that field is setup in Marketo in anticipation of an integration? I have to agree though, it seems silly that they haven't mapped Site and Website.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes, this is surely the case: most of Marketo standard fields will map with CRM fields once you have set up a SFDC or Dynamics connector.

I gave a look to a few instances I can access and the "Site" field is almost always empty.

-Greg