SOLVED

How many emails been opened from Mobile

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many emails been opened from Mobile

Hi Shane,

The main use case we've heard from customers around this is to look at aggregate metrics for directional guidance, e.g. a pie chart that shows what devices were used to open the emails in the last 30 days.  A marketer would then see if there is significant mobile usage and consider investing more in responsive design.

I'm curious to know how you'll use specific lead-level details.  This will help us determine what features we should build to best address your needs.  Thanks.

TJ
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are trying to funnel mobile specific message to users based on their mobile platforms - smartphone and tablet.
For example the immediate need - a CTA to download the latest iOS app only to iPhone users - whether via redirects to a specific landing page and also via email. If they have android then we are going to tease them to sign up for notification and to share the teasers to get early access or news on when android app is available.
We have a whole set of marketing initiatives specifically targeting mobile OS specific messages, CTA and more.
We also want to avoid sending out mobile marketing to our pure web based users which is significant as we straddle 2 very different audiences.
We will also be adding webhooks to drive SMS only notifications and for in-app communications. 

We are well past the investing more decision in mobile - over 45% of our current WOOFipedia auduience is mobile and we have a road map specific to mobile in place and executing on it. Brands and products that will be mobile first and some that are mobile only.

We were surprised the feature was missing from the consumer version of marketo. Any marketer serving Millennials and below has to be mobile first. We have users where web and even email are not the primary commuication channels.

Shane

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the details, Shane.  We'll review your use cases as we design this new device breakdown report.  The first version of this may not have lead-level details, but we'll definitely keep that in mind.

Please post an idea (or vote if an idea already exists).  The number of votes is a key input to our product roadmap prioritization.  Thanks.

TJ
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi TJ & all,

Just wanted to chime in on this conversation. I think Marketo's approach on votes in the Community is brilliant (and works); however, when it comes to B2C segment, we may not get the same volume and therefore underestimate the importance of the ask. With that said, a capability like this one is sure to put Marketo on the map in this strategic segment. Now, this is just few brains put together & perhaps a panel of your most trusted, experienced and advanced automation users (I just happen to know Shane personally) may provide a better insight, if not speed up decision making on your end.

Speaking from several experiences, Marketo and others, the need for this is there and it's hot. In my B2B projects the focus is different, and B2C folks either already execute or would like to take multi-channel approach. Not to mention, mobile gives you strategic advantage in Europe and Asia Pac. For marketers, at the least knowing who's "reading" their communications on mobile is critical. 

Sorry for the long rant. (maybe I need to get a midday coffee) I love Marketo and passionate about you guys staying on the top, if not leading the pack. If we are already reading the mobile info on the backend, seems like adding the capability to Smartlists would bring swift returns, no? 

Inga
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Inga,

Thanks for the feedback.  You raise good points.  To clarify though, the number of votes for an idea is not the only input to our prioritization process, it's one of many.  My apologies if my prior comment gave the wrong impression.  We've built many features in the past that had very few votes, but were strategic or high impact, and some of them were not even ideas in the community.

Having an idea will only help make the business case for a new feature, and that's why I always encourage customers to do it.

TJ
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever the approach to your product roadmap TJ, it really works. Every time Cheryl presents a new release, I think "we want this!" You are always on point and on top of what's most important for us marketers.

This might be one of those ideas. Just thought I'd chime in, it's worth looking into!

And thank you for always listening to our needs and wants. That is certainly what differentiates Marketo and the solution you are offering.
Anonymous
Not applicable

TJ - The ability to know how many people are opening messages on a mobile vs. tablet vs. desktop is critical. Seriously, critical. This impacts the entire user experience, which contributes to actual conversions. The decision for a company as to whether or not to put resources towards a/b testing messages by device, design by device, is significant. ComScore released data indicating that in Q3 of 2014, 65% of all marketing messages were opened on a mobile device. For Marketo users to be flying blind with respect to this metric, is kind of unacceptable. 

Is this reporting on the roadmap at this point?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michelle,

Yes, this is in our 2H 2014 roadmap.  To give you more details on our current plan (subject to change), we'll be starting to collect mobile information for email open and click activities soon.  We'll first provide smartlist filter capabilities and then provide aggregate mobile vs. desktop splits in a dashboard.

TJ
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is now available as of the May 2014 release!
Here's instructions for adding this to Smart Lists and reports:  
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoResource?id=kA650000000GxMuCAK