How long will it take to batch update 1 million leads through 3 campaigns?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How long will it take to batch update 1 million leads through 3 campaigns?

Hi,

I need to updated 3 field for 1 million leads.  I have 3 seperate campaigns. I am hoping if I begin on a Friday it will be complete by Sunday.  Has anyone done large batch updates?  How long did it take you?  Any advice?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long will it take to batch update 1 million leads through 3 campaigns?

Can't say say for sure, but I have done large batch updates to far less than 1MM records (but more than 500k), which did not complete over a weekend.  That said, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't finish first thing Monday -- you can still run other flows, but they just won't process as quickly.  

You could try starting a day early, say Thursday afternoon, with just one of your 3 campaigns, to spread out the load on your bandwidth (running all 3 of these at once would really slow things down, but with just 1 running in the background you should still be able to run other flows without a huge impact) then start the remaining 2 Friday afternoon and hope they wrap up over the weekend.  Good luck!
Jessica_Cross1
Level 6

Is your Marketo connected to Salesforce? Do you know what your API limit is between the two? 3,000,000 even spread over a weekend you may exceed your API limit, breaking the connection and preventing any other data from flowing between MKTO and SFDC.  I recommend looking into CRM Fusion as a great tool for doing database updates.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Jessica has a good pt. If you mass update that many records, Marketo will try to push those changes at the same time, slowing things down more and using up APIs on both systems.

What exactly are you trying to update?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are these 3 fields synched with SFDC? Or are they Marketo only?
Large updates such as these can clog the 'integration pipe' for several days.
You may want to check with Marketo support if they can help by increasing sync threads for this update timeframe.

Hope this helps

Rajesh
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Thanks for the great responses.  I've synced 1MM before and it took about 24 hours.  Just to be clear, these leads/contacts will be updating a SFDC field.  I will run them through campaing#1 first, which is resetting a score.  They have to complete that before I can begin campaign #2 & #3, which are scoring campaigns.  

I do know my API limit (about 750K).  I've done the calculations for the API requests and I think I'm in good shape, so I'm not too worried about maxing out the AP,.  1 campaign is about 10K API calls.  Marketo support seems to think it could take a good 3 days. 

I do like CRM fusion, but I don't have a subscription right now.  As an alternate I am using Dataloader.io to update some additional fields.  Has anyone used Dataloader.io and know the record update limit per API call?  I know it's a lot less than Marketo, but I haven't gotten an exact figure.  For Dataloader I'd be running tasks w/bulk upload.

Thanks, everyone!

Anonymous
Not applicable

*I meant to say I know Dataloader.io is more records than Marketo, not less 🙂