SOLVED

How does creating or updating a Salesforce sandbox affect Marketo?

Go to solution
Chris_Saporito
Level 9

How does creating or updating a Salesforce sandbox affect Marketo?

One of our Salesforce admins was asking me if there are any affects in Marketo from creating or updating a Salesforce sandbox. I could not find any similar posts and I'm not familiar with this at all so I wanted to reach out to the community. Could this potentially cause triggered campaigns to fire off? Any insight or tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: How does creating or updating a Salesforce sandbox affect Marketo?

Hi Chris,

Marketo can only be connected to 1 SFDC instance.

• If your Marketo instance is connected to your prod instance and you create a sandbox from this prod instance, this SFDC sandbox will be unknown to Marketo.
    • If your Marketo instance is connected to a sandbox instance and you refresh that sandbox, then it may continue to be connected, but to be confirmed. The problem will be that all the SFDC ID in your new SFDC sandbox will be changed, so it's likely that a lot of things will no longer get sync'ed correctly. For a start, all lead records in Marketo will not be connected to the corresponding lead/contact in SFDC.

Kenny Elkington​, Steven Vanderberg​, Cathal Moran​, John Clark, your feedbakc on this or from PM would be great.

-Greg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Chris,

Marketo can only be connected to 1 SFDC instance.

• If your Marketo instance is connected to your prod instance and you create a sandbox from this prod instance, this SFDC sandbox will be unknown to Marketo.
    • If your Marketo instance is connected to a sandbox instance and you refresh that sandbox, then it may continue to be connected, but to be confirmed. The problem will be that all the SFDC ID in your new SFDC sandbox will be changed, so it's likely that a lot of things will no longer get sync'ed correctly. For a start, all lead records in Marketo will not be connected to the corresponding lead/contact in SFDC.

Kenny Elkington​, Steven Vanderberg​, Cathal Moran​, John Clark, your feedbakc on this or from PM would be great.

-Greg

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Your answer is correct, not sure what else you're looking for.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kenny,

Thx

The confirmation that if a Marketo instance is connected to an SFDC sandbox and this sandbox is refreshed, the sync user can still connect but almost everything else is broken because all the SFDC ID's have changed:

• Field mapping (it seemed to me that event the internal references to fields is made by ID, not by field API name, but I am not sure on this)
  • Mkto lead to SFDC lead/contact reference
  • Program / campaign sync

-Greg

Chris_Saporito
Level 9

Thank you all, that's what I was looking for.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Perhaps the real concern is if you send SFDC Sandbox updates to SFDC Production, what could be the impact on Marketo?

This should be thought through in terms of fields, apex triggers, etc.

As for Marketo Sandbox+SFDC Sandbox, yes there will be an impact on the marketo sandbox, mostly data, but also data structure if you've refreshed it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You shouldn't have any issues creating a sandbox from your prod instance in SFDC. Your Marketo campaigns will not fire.