How do Smart Campaigns work in Engagement Programs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do Smart Campaigns work in Engagement Programs?

Hi all,

This has been baffling me since our launch 90 days ago. When I drop a program into an engagement program/stream it asks me to select a Smart Campaign. What Smart Campaign should it be??

Here is a use case.

I'd like to add Content Program A to Engagement Program 1. Content Program A has a few Smart Campaigns associated with it, such as "opens email, change program status", "visits lander, change program status" and "fills out form, send autoresponder email."

Which of those Smart Campaigns do I select for Engagement Program 1? Or do I create an Engagement Program Smart Campaign?

Also, do I need to create a send Smart Campaign? Like "Smart list = member of Engagement Program 1" "Flow = send email" and Schedule = ___" What would schedule be since I just want it to send at the appropriate Engagement Program cadence?

Also if my lead Bob, has already engaged with Content Program A (downloaded the whitepaper or whatever), he will automatically start with Content Program B right? And he'll move on through the Engagement Program correct? Similarly if Sally has not engaged with Content Program A but has with B, her experience would be A, C, D, E, etc. Correct? This happens automatically and does not require any further Smart Campaign builds. Correct?

think I understand the benefit of adding Programs v Emails to a Engagement Program. But I cannot, for the life of me, figure out that Smart Campaign part. Once I do, I will very happy transition to this approach!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do Smart Campaigns work in Engagement Programs?

Hi Cheryl,

If I'm understanding the way you have things set up, then YES, you do need to create a smart campaign that actually sends the email, and that is the campaign that you should select when you add the program to the engagement stream.

And I do think that if Bob has already run through program A, then he will skip straight to B. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.)

Here's a link to another good discussion of embedding programs vs. just emails in engagement streams: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PhX5AAK

Hope that helps!

Kate
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kate, 

That mostly makes sense. But what do I set for the schedule in that Smart Campaign? 

If I understand correctly, that send Smart Campaign would look like...
  • Smart List: Member of Engagement Program 1
  • Flow: Send email
  • Schedule: _____
Or do I need something more complex like
  • Smart List: Member of Engagement Program 1, Content A program status not engaged
  • Flow: Send email
  • Schedule: _____

Also, all, if more use case info is helpful...

Content Program A (lets say whitepaper download) includes a confirmation page that tells the lead they may also be interested in Content Program B. Content Program B includes a confirmation page that tells the lead they may also be interested in Content Program C. Et cetera. 

So naturally if a lead jumps in at Content Program B, converts and then does the same for Content Program C, I don't want their Engagement Program to include those. I'd rather they go A then D.

And finally...if I am making this way more complicated than it is, I am very open to other suggestions!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exclusion statuses!

0EM50000000Rezx.jpg

Add a program status to the channel: Exclusion.

Any time you want to exclude a lead from that cast, add it to the program with the “Exclusion” program status. 

0EM50000000Rf02.jpg

I'm talking on this exact topic (Intelligent Lead Nurturing) at the Summit, if you want to stop in for it. Hence the beautifully designed diagram here. 

- Edward Unthank
Marketing Operations Manager
Yesler
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cheryl,

I think Edward covered most of what you're asking with his beautiful diagram 🙂

Don't activate the smart campaign when you add it to the engagement stream, all you have to do is select it and Marketo should take care of the rest. (You will see a little green arrow next to the dark light bulb in the asset tree.)

At one point I saw a really great deep-dive webinar about using the engagement program that covered a lot of these little details--I think it was this one: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoResource?id=kA650000000GsQWCA0

Good luck!

Kate
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi y'all,

Yes, I understand, thank you. I guess my question is more basic/technical. Which flow do I choose to create an exclusion? Do I use the "remove from flow" and then remove from my outbound send flow?

0EM50000000Rf44.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Edward,

I loved your presentation! Unfortunately the recording only captured the slides, and not the screenshare, and I have a couple of questions about how you set up the Exclusion Trigger campaign v. Outbound campaign.

What do you use as the trigger for the Exclusiont (Triggered) campaign? Do you create canonical lists for every email you send out? Then use the "Add to List" trigger?

I'm wondering because when I say "Send Email" within the Program, I'm saying "Is Member of Engagement Program X". Then I have Progression Status Change to Sent.

I'm concerned that the two triggers will contradict eachother (ie customers get sent the email, and perhaps the Exclusion trigger gets to them before the Status is changed to Sent).

Does that make sense? Thank you!!! Best Marketo insight I have learned in a long time.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing Edward, Why do you split up the Progression Status and Send Email Campaign? Curious..