How do Marketo fields synced to SFDC via smart campaigns affect API calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do Marketo fields synced to SFDC via smart campaigns affect API calls?

We want to have an accurate count of our emailable leads between Marketo and Salesforce (for reporting purposes). I was told that this might affect us by hitting the API limit. I want to know if there is a difference on API calls between fields synced via API and fields synced via Smart Campaigns? How are they different or the same? Would marketo even make us hit our limit? 

Please explain thanks.

Mario.
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Calvin_Lam
Level 4

Re: How do Marketo fields synced to SFDC via smart campaigns affect API calls?

Are you concerned about Marketo API limit or SFDC Limit?  It sounds like that you are concerned about Marketo limit.  In your case using the "Sync Lead to SFDC" flow action in your Smart Campaign or the every 5 mins Marketo->SFDC sync do not count towards Marketo API Limit since they are both internal Marketo processes (Not considered as accessing Marketo API).  However, it will increase your SFDC API calls (see article below).

Also, an API call to Marketo or SFDC doesn't count the number of fields being updated.  It is the number of lead objects that matter.  So updating 1 lead with 100 fields will be considered 1 API call in Marketo.

The 2 articles below provide further explanation on both Marketo->SFDC API limit and Any System -> Marketo API Limit

http://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kyr6CAC

http://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PVi7AAG

Let me know if this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do Marketo fields synced to SFDC via smart campaigns affect API calls?

Mario, we found that the issue you are talking about tends to be a tied to deployment. Once the innitial sync with Salesforce is done and all the lists of pre-leads make it into Marketo and the appropriate lead queue in Salesforce (ussually about 60 days in) the update sync Calvin is talking about doesn't tax your daily limit to much...One key point to think about that I see ofter is that if you adjust the out-of-box sync cadence between Salesforce and Marketo durring deployment it will greatly effect how quickly the Sales team can use Sales Insight on the leads/contacts they enter in Salesforce...As they will have to wait for the next update sync with Marketo to send Sales Emails that will track in Marketo...