How do I sync a lead to SFDC and have it be associated to the proper campaign

Nichole_Cunnin4
Level 4

How do I sync a lead to SFDC and have it be associated to the proper campaign

We are migrating from Microsoft Dynamics and Salesforce. We know how to match a lead up with a specific campaign in MS Dynamics, but I'd like to know the proper way to do it with MKTO -- > SFDC.

For example, someone becomes a Marketing Qualified lead from a workshop they attended. When the lead syncs  lead over, what information needs to come with that lead in order for it to be associated to the correct campaign in SFDC?

Is it just the name of the campaign? Is it the campaign ID?
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I sync a lead to SFDC and have it be associated to the proper campaign

There needs to be a Smart Campaign that listens for individuals that become Marketing Qualified from that program.  The Flow step will use the flow action of add to SFDC campaign, where you will pick out which campaign to add the member to in addition to the campaign status.  The campaign is called by the name of the campaign.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I sync a lead to SFDC and have it be associated to the proper campaign

Jonathan is right. Another way is to sync the Mkto Program and SFDC Campaign. Then, when you update the status in Mkto, it will be added to the SFDC Campaign with the same status.
Nichole_Cunnin4
Level 4

I should've mentioned that we are not doing the MKTO-Campaign/Program sync as it would circumvent our lead scoring.

We already have scoring set up that listens for the lead to reach a particular threshold. When I pick the campaign to add the member to, do I pick it by name? Or, by campaign ID?

I will have to play with this in our MKTO/SFDC Sandbox implementation.

Thanks for all the info, this is helping a lot.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would pick the campaign by name.  So if in SFDC the campaign is named, Marketing Qualified, when you drag over the flow step, Add to SFDC Campaign, you would type in Marketing Qualified.  Note that if you have JUST created the campaign, it does take a few moments before Marketo will recognize and be able to see it.  Campaigns must also be active in order for Marketo to see them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Nichole,

Again, Jonathan is right on. I usually see the newly created SFDC Campaign after the systems sync. For us, that's roughly every 30-35 minutes.

But I'm curious, how does the sync circumvent the scoring? That's not something I've seen and it could be throwing off our own scoring.
Nichole_Cunnin4
Level 4

Hey Jeff,

I'm not 100% certain if it circumvents leads scoring--that's just what I've been told. We are looking for best practices for doing this with SFDC and lead scoring.

I guess it is ok if they go over after being associate with a campaign as long as the reps only get notified after it reaches a certain score. We may just pitch this idea to the Marketo user group we are going to in Washington next week.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, let me know what they say!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you trying to keep leads in Marketo until they have passed a certain score, before syncing to Marketo?

If so, I believe if you add a lead to a campaign without using the Sync to SFDC function, it will bring the lead over into SFDC, but it will not tie a lead owner to it.  Depending on how SFDC is setup this could prevent the reps from seeing the lead.  Might be worth testing, if this is what you are trying to achieve.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jonathan, Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do!

I will test this!