How do I create new Munchkin tracking code for a new domain?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I create new Munchkin tracking code for a new domain?

Hi community

We currently have www.companywebsite.co.nz, and would like to add Munchkin code to www.externalsite.com. It isn't a sub-domain.

I understand that I need to somehow set up a second domain, and get specific Munchkin code for it to implement. I've searched high and low for help in docs and the community but I'm still unclear as to what needs to be done.

We won't be sending any emails on behalf of the site, we simply want to track activity such as page views from known leads in www.companywebsite.co.nz when they visit www.externalsite.com.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Diana

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How do I create new Munchkin tracking code for a new domain?

You don't need a separate Munchkin tracking code -- there's no such thing. The same Munchkin ID can be used on any number of domains. That's probably why you couldn't find any directions.

But the Munchkin tracking cookies will not be shared across parent registered domains, so this concept is flawed:

we simply want to track activity such as page views from known leads in www.companywebsite.co.nz when they visit www.externalsite.com.

Cookies from .example.co.nz are not sent to example.com -- a core tenet of browser security. Each registered domain thus gets its own cookie, which will be anonymous until the session becomes promoted (from anonymous → known) on that domain, using one of the standard methods (email click, form fillout, Munchkin API or other associateLead method).

An expert client-side developer can bridge this gap (it's the kind of thing we build here) but you shouldn't expect it to work by default.