How are you handling the gap b/w event time and processing time?

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

How are you handling the gap b/w event time and processing time?

Hello,

we have a series of campaigns that are triggered based on a combination of events. For instance:

- has filled out form + previously clicked on email sent -> is engaged from MY campaign

- has visited TY page A + previously filled out form -> has download product A

- has filled out form + has been created within last 10 minutes + is acquired by web program (= MKTO automatically attributes by default to the hosting program regardless of the source) -> reattribute to the right program that has created lead

The issue that I'm encountering is that Marketo doesn't always process the events based on event time. Some activities (e.g. filled out forms) are recorded faster than others which is impacting the trigger campaigns.

As a result I have to run in parallel some batch campaigns to tag leads that have been missed. But this cannot work for all use cases. Are you encountering same issue? How do you proceed?

Cécile

3 REPLIES 3
Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Re: How are you handling the gap b/w event time and processing time?

Hi Cecile Maindron,

Have you tried to add a Wait step? I use this on multiple flows, which allows Marketo to update all the necessary fields before the trigger is fired. It helps solve a lot of these issues.

Let me know if this helps!

Emma

Sara_Greaves
Level 5

Hi Cecile,

Can you show us how your campaigns are set up? It sounds like you should be able to do a trigger and then a filter. For example, fills out form and then add a filter for clicked on email. You will just want to make sure that you don't include two triggers because triggers are treated as "ors" not "ands".

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Bonjour Cécile,

Apparently, you are facing order of execution / race condition issues.

Have you read that post: How to Control Order of Operations in Marketo

As suggested by Sara, screenshots of your smart campaign filters may enable us to help you more.

-Greg