SOLVED

Help w/ Advanced Filters Logic

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help w/ Advanced Filters Logic

Hello Community,

I can't seem to get a hang of the Advanced Filters. My goals is for the first 8 filters to definitely apply. However, where it gets tricky is with the last two "Has Certificates" filter. I discovered that in some cases there will be people that will not have Certificates, thus "Has Certificates = False." However, there are people who have Certificates, thus "Has Certificates = True," but their certificate status is Expired, Cancelled, etc. and, thus, it's as if they don't really have them.

Am I using the right logic here by saying 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and (9 or 10)? Or should it be set up differently? Also, what would it mean if I set it up like this: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 (or 10)? Would that then make either the first 8 filters apply or the last filter?

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you so much!

Laura Kimball

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Help w/ Advanced Filters Logic

Hey Laura,

Those are different. I was actually just helping out another member with this.

For the 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 (or 10) - that will apply the OR operator at the end. It is basically saying

(1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9) OR 10.

Here is an example that I use to communicate this.

US AND MALE OR DOG OWNER

In this example, you may get people outside of the US. It executes US AND MALE first, and then it looks at the rest of the database for DOG OWNER, including non-US records.

US AND (MALE OR DOG OWNER)

In the example, everyone must be in the US. It reads, show me people that are in the US and are either a male or dog owner.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Darrell_Alfons2

Hey Laura,

Those are different. I was actually just helping out another member with this.

For the 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 (or 10) - that will apply the OR operator at the end. It is basically saying

(1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9) OR 10.

Here is an example that I use to communicate this.

US AND MALE OR DOG OWNER

In this example, you may get people outside of the US. It executes US AND MALE first, and then it looks at the rest of the database for DOG OWNER, including non-US records.

US AND (MALE OR DOG OWNER)

In the example, everyone must be in the US. It reads, show me people that are in the US and are either a male or dog owner.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Darrell! Thanks for your insights

Just a couple of questions:

1. For your first example, I don't think that Marketo allows for combing And + Or filters without parentheses, so your example would then be set up like this: (US and MALE) or DOG OWNER OR (1 and 2) or 3, correct? And this would be incorrect as it applies to my stated goal, correct?

2. For the correct example, the second one, it would be 1 and (2 or 3), and as it applies to my question, then, is it fair to say that for my purposes the following format is correct?  1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and (9 or 10), wherein I want EVERYONE who qualifies for the first 8 filters PLUS they either have No Certificates OR their certificate status is one of several options.

3. Can you provide insight into the below filter setup? My goal is for people whose balance is either EMPTY or "0" to qualify to receive an email PLUS  they either have Certificates that are not activated or pending or they have No Certificates:

pastedImage_34.png

Thanks again!

Laura

Darrell_Alfons2

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. This looks correct except for starts with on number 2. Did you have a reason for that? Could you just do equals 0?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, yes, that makes more sense....Didn't think of that, lol 

I am waiting to hear back from someone on another question I have, but thought you might have some insights....Can you think of an example where I would want to use the nested parentheses as shown below?

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks Darrell!

Laura

Darrell_Alfons2

Sure, where is that screenshot from btw? Is that your company's?

The nested paren orders things differently.

US and Dog Owner or (Cat Owner and Bird Owner)

Show me everyone in the US and they have to be a dog owner. After that, search the whole database again for people that own Cats and birds, including people outside the US, and add that to the list.

US and (Dog Owner or (Cat Owner and Bird Owner))

Show me everyone in the US - of those people, show me the dog owners OR people that own both a cat and a bird. In this example, all records will have to be in the US.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thank you Darrell!

I took that screenshot from this document here: Using Advanced Smart List Rule Logic - Marketo Docs - Product Docs 

Best regards,

Laura