Help Need with Email Analytics in PowerBI via Marketo API

W4term3l0nJ3lly
Level 1

Help Need with Email Analytics in PowerBI via Marketo API

Hi, 

Seeking some assistance with the Marketo API. 

We have a marketo report that shows the following as monthly totals:
- Total Emails Sent

- Deliverability Rate

- Total Opens

- Open Rate

- Total Unsubscribes

I am building a PowerBI report that will be used to combine analytics from multiple platforms, i.e., SproutSocial, GA4, and I'd like to be able to pull in the same data that is in our Marketo report so it's all in one place. 

Initially I tried to use the Marketo  (beta) connector option that's available in PowerBI - but this seems to only allow me to fetch a single days worth of data, not the monthly totals that I'm after. 

I have been attempting to do this by extracting "activities" information via the Marketo REST API, based on the functions provided in this article: Excel Integration Part 1: Extract & Shape Marketo Data Using Power Query - Marketo Developers

I've managed to adapt those functions into PowerQuery/M code to use in PowerBI - but I only managed to pull in about 2 days worth of data for a single month - what I need is monthly totals across several years. 

I found the following article on doing bulk exports/extracts: Bulk Activity Extract - Marketo Developers
However, I'm unable to find any examples of how to use the bulk API endpoints to get email activities into PowerBI. 

I've never done anything with APIs before, but I feel like this should be much easier than it seems to be, at least based on my experience with the SproutSocial APIs which only took me a few hours to set up and get all the information I needed into PowerBI. 

If anyone has any examples of the API queries and functions required to get the email analytics mentioned into PowerBI that would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise it would be great if anyone could recommend any third party options for connecting Marketo to PowerBI. 

1 REPLY 1
dtavangar
Level 2

Re: Help Need with Email Analytics in PowerBI via Marketo API

you can use the Marketo Bulk Extract API

You will first need to authenticate, then create the job, Poll the bulk extract job status until it is completed, and then download the data. Once you have the data, you can use PowerBI to virtualize and transform the data. You can also use Zapier, which already has a built-in Marketo connector.