Has anyone successfully merged their subdomain for LPs to their parent domain for SEO purposes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone successfully merged their subdomain for LPs to their parent domain for SEO purposes?

Hi Brittany,

I'm aware that we can track both domains in GA easily, although I don't think that adds the SEO value of the subdomain to the parent domain.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone successfully merged their subdomain for LPs to their parent domain for SEO purposes?

Hey everyone!

I'm not a developer, so I'm unfamiliar with reverse proxies and the like, but we do have a developer in-house. I'm commenting here to see what your thoughts about SEO and Marketo LPs are. Does using a Marketo LP disallow us from being scored? Right now we embed forms onto our Wordpress site but I'd like to try using Marketo LPs for better tracking, etc. but my team has brought up the concern that our scores will either be damaged, or those pages will not be scored at all. Is this true? How would we go about alleviating this issue?

Thanks for any and all input!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sarah,

To my understanding -- if you run landing pages on marketo using a subdomain such as info.website.com, or pages.website.com -- it is being treated as a separate site as your www.website.com...

With that being said, you would essentially be competing with yourself in the rankings for the same keywords (if you're targeting the same on both sites).

One option we had considered was de-indexing our Marketo LPs and running them specifically for PPC, and then creating duplicates on our CMS to retain rank value, and domain authority for those target keywords... This plan isn't scalable, especially when you consider other regions/languages globally...

The #1 solution would be to pass the subdomain through a reverse proxy ie: info.website.com/landingpage to website.com/info/landingpage, etc.

We are working here internally with our development teams to see what is possible, and also reaching out to our Marketo rep as well.

Will keep this thread updated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks JP! I'll keep an eye out for your updates! And I'll bring up the reverse proxy with my developer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JP,

Were you able to solve this using the reverse proxy? Interested to know how it went. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alison,

Unfortunately this project fell through the cracks after our developer at-the-time left the company.

This is still something I'd like to try and tackle during the first half of this year.

Still looking for any tips/tricks if others have completed this task!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Have you chosen which CDN or reverse proxy you'll be using for this project? B/c all tips and tricks will be product-specific. The general technical goal is too simple to need tricks....

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think our CDN is Amazon CloudFront but I'm not 100% sure.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, of you can confirm that it's CF, I can help describe the method (probably over on my blog) but if it's not, that would be kind of a red herring for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, confirmed that CF is one of our CDNs.