Re: Google Analytics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Google Analytics

Google Analytics is recording clicked links in both emails and landings pages as "Referrals".

I found this article that helps describe the issue but it's somewhat old.

Does anyone know how to get this to work where email and landing page links in Marketo are tracked as direct visits?
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Tony -

It'll track links as whatever you specify, but if you don't specify they're tracked as referrals from your branded domains, go.yoursite.com (LPs) & em.yoursite.com (Emails), for example. 

If you want a link to track to google you use parameters on the end of the URL. After the end of your complete url you can use as many parameters as you want, but google will pay attention to source, medium, campaign & content. I typically never use content. 

You accomplish this by starting with a question mark ? . Then utm_source=MARKETO ... & ... utm_medium=EMAIL ... & ... utm_campaign= THE-BIG-CAMPAIGN

So if you write that all out without any spaces.

http://www.yoursite.com?utm_source=Marketo&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=The-big-campaign

0EM50000000RJZK.jpg

That'll give you something that looks like this with Source / Medium in the first column & campaign in the second. You'll have to update Channel groupings in Analytics' preferences to see Marketo at a top-level. 

To make this easier on me I add the parameter string to templates as the URL in every URL, including logos & footers, etc. 

?utm_source=Marketo&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign={{my.Campaign}}

I went to all of the top - level folders in my instance of Marketo & added the text token, Campaign. Now on every Program I make I set the campaign name once, then every where in all of my emails & landing pages with tagged links are properly tracked to the correct campaign. 

For more explaination. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're just looking for a "quick fix" go into Google Analytics, Admin, Content Groupings and edit the default.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adam W, I'm unclear why/what I would be editing on the Content Groupings. The area that shows the source traffic in Google is the Channel settings and the default channel settings include email but this doesn't pick up email from Marketo. Did I miss something? I would certainly rather just be able to get the Marketo email data appearing in the email channel without having to setup custom URLs with utm codes for every email.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean Channel Groupings, not Content.

If Email & LP Traffic are coming in as a referral. You can change the Channel Groupings to move that traffic into Email, even if it is a standard thing, you can add sources which are email. 

0EM50000000Sb6k.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adam W, Thanks. I had thought to use "Landing Page URL Contains go.quark.com but I wasn't sure if Landing page URL was the correct attribute. To be clear, if I use 'Source' as suggested, does this require the utm tags or will source just see the referring URL without the need for utm tags. If yes then this is by far the most elegant solution to the problem. Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be clear. Google doesn't know what you don't tell it. Some things automatically tell it, like PPC campaigns, but email won't. So to use source, you need to tell google the source. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I've made the change so hopefully I'll start to see the results in the next day or two.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Adam -- to be clear, I need to use the 'OR' operator between "System Defined Channel" "Source" and "Medium" -- correct? (Not "and" which is my first inclination..)

Carey
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carey, you need to use OR so that no matter if it's Google's built-in way to identify visitors from email (which doesn't work for Marketo), from your email or due to using the utm tag for email, that they all get attributed to email. I made the change and starting seeing the results immediately. One thing to consider is that you have the choice to edit your default channel settings or create a custom set of channel settings (you can duplicate the default to make this easy). The important thing to know is that if you change the default, it only applies to data going forward and you cannot get historical data based on the new settings. if you create a new custom set of channels then you can apply the new settings to historical data too e.g. if you want to see how many web sessions were driven by email over the past 12 months, once you make this change to the definition of an email channel, that data will be there (or within 24 hours as Google warns).