SOLVED

Getting open/send data for programs that send the same emails to the same people (transactional)

Go to solution
annbender
Level 2

Getting open/send data for programs that send the same emails to the same people (transactional)

Marketo does not track repeated open/send activities with the same emails. If the same email is sent to a person record multiple times, the only open/sent data activity will be logged 1x per record. I have a really awkward workaround where I build smart lists :was sent email minimum 1 time and then another for 2 times and so on until i get an idea of how many people were sent the email. This is ok but there is no way to get the open rate for these emails, just sent. I send a lot of transactional emails and customers will get the same email several times a month. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Getting open/send data for programs that send the same emails to the same people (transactional)

Your best bet (well, only real bet) is to create your own tracking pixel that logs Custom Activities* using the Marketo API.

Then you can log once per campaign run as opposed to once per email.

*Note you’ll want to use a daily (or perhaps hourly) bulk CA import, rather than real-time inserts as each pixel is opened. unless you are 100.00% sure that your daily volume for these transactional emails is within API limits, i.e. 20,000 opens/day in real-time is feasible, 100,000+ per day is not and should be loaded in bulk instead.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Getting open/send data for programs that send the same emails to the same people (transactional)

Your best bet (well, only real bet) is to create your own tracking pixel that logs Custom Activities* using the Marketo API.

Then you can log once per campaign run as opposed to once per email.

*Note you’ll want to use a daily (or perhaps hourly) bulk CA import, rather than real-time inserts as each pixel is opened. unless you are 100.00% sure that your daily volume for these transactional emails is within API limits, i.e. 20,000 opens/day in real-time is feasible, 100,000+ per day is not and should be loaded in bulk instead.

annbender
Level 2

Thanks for your response, i talked to Litmus and they have that capability but we might be able to do it internally.