Re: Gating Video Content

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gating Video Content

I know there is a debate about whether to gate content (whitepapers, etc.). However, if I wanted to gate video content (webinar recording), has anyone done this, and how do you do it? 

thanks!

-Patrick
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's an easy way to do this using Wistia, but you would have to be using Wistia as a video host.  They play nice with Marketo and I would recommend checking them out if you're not already on board. 

http://wistia.com/doc/turnstile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Patrick,

You can always embed the video in the thank you page that your lead is re-directed to after they fill out the form. Most video hosts (including YouTube) can output embed code. You should be able to copy that code and paste it into an HTML content element on your Marketo page. You may have the publish the page in order to see the video you've embedded, they don't usually show up in preview mode.

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that's what we currently do. We email a link (this ensures they've provided a valid email address) to the content. The only problem there is that it's not truly gated. The direct link to the content (embedded video page) is not unique and does not verify the person has filled out the form. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to do this other than working with a 3rd party integration.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generating an unique code for each lead (password generators are great for that) and passing that code along email address via URL parameters would be an option.

The landing page would read the URL parameters and validate against the values on the database before revealing the content through JavaScript.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would require you to create a dedicated code field for each user, and then passing it to them. Would that work for new leads that enter the database that have yet to be assigned a code? Has anyone used Vidyard or one of the other providers for this? I was hoping that we would be able to do this with gotowebinar to simply keep registering people for the recording the same way you do for the live webinar, but gotowebinar doesn't integrate the recordings with Marketo, and only collects name and email address to view them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is actually simpler  for new leads that enter the database: you can have the password generator as a HTML block page element and assign the result directly to a hidden field.
Colin_Mann
Level 5

We debate this one a lot too - it just feels odd to gate a video as a user experience. One option I've seen used is to record a preview and let people watch that and then ask them to complete a form to watch more. I am not convinced about that as a user experience though.

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

The video assets can be gated even without the need of a Thanks page. We implemented this for one of our customers where we would show the video if it was a known user. If it was an unknown user, we would show the form using a JS code. The user had to fill the form to play the video.

The argument for gating a video or not gating it would depend on the content of the video. Typically, it is fine to put the videos behind a form for recorded webinars, advanced product demos or instructional videos. Marketing videos can always be used as non-gated content.

balmikipadhan
Level 1

Hi Alok_Ramsisaria

Can you please help with the JS code. 

many thanks !