Form Prefill Question

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Form Prefill Question

Is there a way to prevent a "wrong" email address from appearing in a form prefill field? We have a form that is set to prefill that when people go to the page but for some people, it's pulling an email address that's not theirs. I believe in all cases that it's an email address the user has used in the past for one reason or another (searching for a user with that email address, for instance) but I'm not 100% positive.

Here is the Marketo landing page with the form. https://pages.mapi.net/OP-MAPI-Preference-Center-10_MAPI-Opt-in-Subscription-Management-V1.html

It has some hidden fields, which depend on the user's access. You should see four options. A full member will see eight options.

My understanding is that Marketo is using some form of logic to pull what it believes to be the appropriate cookie but I don't know enough about forms to know if I can help it be more accurate.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Form Prefill Question

Pre-Fill doesn't use any special lookup "logic" at all. It is always exactly accurate: it uses the lead that's currently associated with the session or pageview.

So if they're seeing data from a particular lead, that's because that lead clicked a Marketo-tracked email in the past, or filled out a Marketo form in the past, in that same browser.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Then I must have something wrong on the form. It's prefilling that field on our employee's computers with email addresses of members who are thousands of miles away.

SanfordWhiteman

This happens when employees have sent test emails to themselves, or clicked on links in forwarded emails. There's nothing wrong in your simple form setup that I can see; certainly it's possible to write all manner of custom code that could mess things up like this, but you don't have any.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Thanks for examining it for me. Several of us click on links in forwarded emails a lot so that's probably it. I'm instructing people to clear their cache and let me know if that doesn't work.

Thanks for your help!

SanfordWhiteman

They only need to clear their cookies (not cache) for your domain(s). Don't make them wipe everything!

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Good point! I'll change it to cookies before I send out the email letting people know.