Re: Form Fields as Trigger for Campaign

Mariadelmarl
Level 1

Form Fields as Trigger for Campaign

Hey guys! 

I'm new working on Marketo. I have a question about Smart campaigns.

How exactly do you filter on the field value?

I need to select a specific field: Interested in Cloud to activate the campaign.

I've done this:
I selected the trigger form (Contact Form) and I need to be able to select a specific field within that form. Is this possible?

Help me, please!

Thanks in advance.

Maria

5 REPLIES 5
Megan_Crone
Level 2 - Champion Alumni

Hey Maria,

There are multiple ways to do this, but I would recommend using a trigger for "data value change" and then select your field for interest in cloud. Then you can add a constraint on the trigger for new value is "true" (if you used a Boolean field type...or whatever the value of that field is). That way your campaign will trigger off of that field changing specifically.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You also need to capture when the person created with the value already set, which won't trigger a Change Data Value.

Unless this particular case is only for people who already exist in the database and are guaranteed to have been created with this field empty.

Mariadelmarl
Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

But the field that I have is "interested in" and several options are displayed, including "cloud".

What I need is that when someone selects "cloud", the smart campaign is activated.

How do I determine that if I choose cloud as one of the options, the campaign is activated?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If it's a multi-valued field, it's stored as a semicolon-delimited string.  So you'd have to use the [contains] operator, not [is].

However, note this has the risk of error if your options have any textual overlap, because Marketo doesn't actually parse the string into its constituent values. It just scans the string.  So the strings "video;cloud" and "non-cloud apps;crypto hardware" both [contain] the word "cloud".

I would strongly recommend individual DateTime fields for each Interest instead, indicating the exact timestamp of their interest. This is a far more robust tracking method to see the arc of someone's interests over time.

Mariadelmarl
Level 1

Could you please show me how to do that one step at a time?

I'm new using this tool. Sorry!